c191# THE ALLURE OF CIV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c191# THE ALLURE OF CIV

<A href="/misc/column/191_allure.shtml" target="_top">191# THE ALLURE OF CIV</a>
    <i>What's so cool about civ?</i>

By Anunikoba
    Last edited by MarkG; October 21, 2001, 15:49.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Well, i used to play Rogue Spear (FPS) and now im waiting for civ3 to come out. I think I like civ3 because it gives me control over a nation and i can mold it to whatever i want it to be.
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

i like to play civ because it makes me think. i bet that's why most people play it.....and because we're power mad wanna be despots

good article
      Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

I share your enthusiasm for the Civ series. Games come and go on my harddrive like winter snow in England, most barely having time to settle before beginning to melt away. I've played more games of Civ I and II than most of my other games put together.

The only think I think of differently to you is in the Civ 'depth'. The beauty of the game is its relative simplicity. A hundred advances from stone age to space age. A hundred troop types. No internal politics or natural disasters to divert you from your chosen goal of leading your people to greatness. Hence it is possible to experience the whole sweep of time in one mammoth caffeine fuelled play session or a few gentler periods over a week. Nothing to require fanatical single minded dedication or months of play time to conclude, but enough to feel a sense of triumph upon completion.

Civ 3 seems to be a step back toward simplicity from Civ 2 which at later stages could become a jungle of troop stacks. Culture is in and trade has been strengthened but many of the old features have been refined. A lot of the areas where the computer did not perform well have been reworked: caravan rush-buying of wonders, spy and diplomat movement, airplane tactics, losing large stacks to one combat loss, railroad invasion by stacked howitzers. Hopefully the result will be a smoother game all round. Not a more complicated one.

For a more gritty historical simulation you have to look at alternatives like Europa Universalis. While direct comparisons are unfair and the different playing style is not popular with all hardcore civvers, the realism is far stronger. Europe alone consists of over 50 states. The smaller are protected from instant absorbtion by political and military alliances, shared religious tendencies, the sheer cost of fighting wars and many other factors. With nearly two hundred countries the player always has to tread a fine line between aggression and turning the entire world hostile. Political and religious upheavals can see even the largest nations descend into revolt and civil war.

I like being king of the world as much as anyone so one or another form of Civ game will always be on my harddrive. When I want to beat my head against historical inevitability or learn more about Renaissance events I'll be loading up the latest EU game instead.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

To me, the charm of Civ II lies in the array of choices presented to the player. Your resources are limited; it is impossible to do everything, so you must choose a goal from among many equally attractive alternatives. Each choice you make influences the direction of the game, and will probably restrict your choices later on. So, I think the game is both deep and simple at the same time: while there are a limited number of choices to make at any time, these choices build upon each other into a complex web of potential paths. The challenge is to navigate this web along a path that, while not perhaps optimal, is at least good enough to win.

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more DaveV

Comment

What is it about civ that hooks me so well?

I don't really know. the suggestions in the article don't quite explain it.

it has a LOT to do with the feeling of power, that the decisions I make affect a lot of imaginary people, but Simcity could never make me feel this way.

Maybe it's the feeling that I work hard against some absurd opposition to keep my people afloat and bring them into the modern age, or that by the pwer of my will and decisions, I can struggle my tribe from a bit of nothingness to rule the planet or reach the stars.

I mean, we had such humble beginnings.....
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

nice article...... for me its the ability to match my wits against other humans...... the ai is fun for awhile but there are simply too many strats to use to win this game in SP mode.....

While a few humans offer my total annihilation ( spelling?) most offer me competition, something i just don't get from the ai anymore i thrive on competition

I play a couple of times a week for about 10 total hours.... 40 hours a month..damm and i thought i had cut down..... i shudder to think how many things have passed by... *snap* wakes up...

So i like to be king..... and i really enjoy being the king of kings..... which does happen from time to time and when i don't win i need to play again because i need that fix.

I guess there is a euphora ( spelling? ) to playing that makes me come back...it's a hobby i enjoy and do well at

jeez i sound like a gambling addict i wonder if video games are bad for the health...
                Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

just the imaginary feeling to rule the planet with a single iron hand... "Entrepreneur to Emperor" (--Morgan in SMAC ). With unlimited custom maps, call this unlimited worlds to conquer for a MEGALOMANIAC. Main de fer dans un gant de velours...
                  The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Working...
                  X