Osama joins Apolyton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zhu Yuanzhang
    "Case, what was Albert Speer supposed to do about it? Hmm? I think that of all the people in the Nazi government, Speer was the "least bad", compared to the others he was actually a pretty decent guy..."
    Well, indirectly at least, Albert Speer did more damage than most of the Third Reich elite since he did some really effective work in increasing wartime production to weopons etc. that certainly prolonged by war and gave the Nazis more time to kill more people.

You can't say a guy is evil for helping his country be more productive in weapons creation. His country was at war.

Now I'm not agreeing with their politics, but this conversation would be different if the Nazi's won.
    What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

Re: Re: Devil's Advocate re-says:

War isn't a ****ing sport. There's nothing "fair" about it. In his case, as a leader of a terrorist organization, and one who has called for a holy war on the west, you just waste the son of a ***** at the first opportunity.
      Sure, but are images of the act quite necessary? I'm not trying to defend him in any way at all, I'm not saying give him a fair chance in a duel. I'm merely suggesting (primarily for the sake of argument) that taking the opportuniy to grab the moral high ground here, killing him (and he is still a human) is sinking to his level. Capture, interrogate, punish. The war is not against bin Laden, and I find it hard to see how a war on terrorism will work. Its not a war. To quote AH "bin Laden is a criminal - treat him as one".

War dear. An act of war, against an enemy of the United States.
      So if the real OBL did show up, and somehow wasn't banned before he hit 500 posts, he could display an avatar of you with crosshairs at your head? I think not.
      If you're "neutral" towards a mass-murdering ******* like bin Laden, then you're totally ****ing clueless. Try explaining your "neutrality" if you have the misfortune to spend some time with some of his associates.
      Hi, I don't approve of driving planes into buildings, and I also do not approve of dropping bombs across a drought-ridden, frost-bitten starving country.
      a) I'm not going to spend any time with his associates
      b) I'm not going to spend any time with Bush's associates.

Anyway, I didn't say I was neutral, I said it wasn't impossible to be. Plenty of mass-murdering *******s have had countries, peoples who are neither supportive nor actively hateful of them.

Perhaps you should explain that to say, Jewish posters, as a justification for allowing poster names like Josef Mengele, Reinhard Heydrich, or Erich von dem Bach-Zelewski
      I didn't say it was a good perspective...

Real interesting thought train I just followed through here,m but you wouldn't like it, and its way off topic, so I won't bother

My point really is that as much as I loathe Osama bin Laden, and his al Qaeda groupies, I don't like the picture of his impending death. Why should it be acceptable to have his head there rather than anyone elses? Make it your windows background if you like it so much. Its sick.
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

At least as far as the name goes, I would be fine with an OBL here. It's no worse than have a dozen other names around. Banning based on the fact that it was a DL is fine, too, but why did you effectively disable the name?
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This is probably not the forum to discuss who is or who isnt guilty, that is for OT... But I guess what can be discussed here is the eligibilty of names, as the forums are owned and operated by Mark and Dan, they must have the final say. I just hope that they use common sense and dont let the emotions of the times dictate to them what is right and what is wrong..

To Connorkimbo: My response of why it was less tastless was in no ways a comment on you in particualar, but what disturbs me now is how many innocent Afghans must die just because 6000 innocent americans(& others) died. I have no problem bringing to justice those guilty, but the bombing of an impoverished nation and deaths of innocents is not good. But not many are jumping up and down over the deaths in afghanistan and unfortuanlty I felt it is because they are not westerners that people so quickly disregard their lives.

Again i meant no disrespect to you , escpecially as you state you made your statement because of you knew the poster personall and so judged him that wasy and not by the nickname he used.
          GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

*Mumbling* must not post here.. Must not post here..

I’m really getting tired of this when all (well perhaps not all) the americans are acting like a beaten wife(what a tastelass metaphor). Yes i totally agree with you that the terrorist acts are really terrible thing and that the resposibles for this must be punished. BUT get on with your life! In your minds you keep telling yourself how free and good your country is. Actually I personally think that the country where i am living is much more free than yours (Finland). I find it ridiculous when I see people in the net saying that this and that should be removed because of what happened on the *don’t remember the day* when the terrorist hit the buildings. I’ve seen that here too and it’s TOTALLY ridiculous. Do you know how many innocent people are suffering in Afganistan because of US bombings right now? Yes you drop some food too now and them(how nice of you) but it really ain’t helping too much. I’ve seen people comparing the terrorist act to what happened in Pearl Harbor at WW2. Oh come on! How many innocent people did die when you dropped the atom bombs (two of them if i remember right) in Japan. Well you keep saying that it saved many soldiers life. That excuse doesnt’t really count if you ask me. About the OBL name: It’s as lame as is the avatar logo where is a crosshair pointing at Osama’s head. So come on you americans come out of your shell and get on with your life and kick some terrorist butt. BUT the matter is no excuse for limiting the speach of freedom(this post is one of the down sides of it though).

I’m probably very stypid because i post something like this here BUT I CAN’T RESIST OR I’LL EXPLORE. Now there.. Feeling much better now. Now don’t get me wrong I really think that most of you americans good lads I even have cousins living in USA (somewhere in Illinois. Can’t remember the place.). I just have to say whats hovering in my mind sometimes when i read some *******s post. AND don’t bother *****ing me about my typo. I ain’t good at english so there. If i were one of you americans i would be sending a letter bomb by now to me. I hope that you are smarter than I.

Comment

This is the most absurd display of political correctness I have ever heard of. Who cares if someone calls themselves OBL or Hitler or Albert Speer or Genghis Khan.

Is satan ok? If so, why? What could be more evil then satan? IS evil-doer OK?

I'm sure my handle, if taken literally could offend alot of people. After all, isn't it pretty blasphemous to call oneself a god.

I just don't get it. Everything offends somebody and at the same time is perfectly acceptable to somebody else.

I guess what it comes down to is whether or not the moderator is offended.

I hope I don't get banned for expressing this opinion.

By the way is there a list of banable offenses and outlawed names so people can conform like sheep .

Banning someones right to post based on their name; That sounds more Taliban than American

Comment

Originally posted by MtG
                [snip]..... or Erich von dem Bach-Zelewski
                Who he?
                (+1)

Comment

did we find out who registered the name?
                  (+1)

Comment

To quote Immortal Wombat:

"I'm not saying give him a fair chance in a duel. I'm merely suggesting (primarily for the sake of argument)"

So in other words, he's admitting to troll behavior.

Now, The Negotiator:

"Yes i totally agree with you that the terrorist acts are really terrible thing and that the resposibles for this must be punished. BUT get on with your life! In your minds you keep telling yourself how free and good your country is. Actually I personally think that the country where i am living is much more free than yours (Finland)."

You live in Finland. How nice. We don't care. People are getting on with their lives here. You are not here. Repeat: YOU ARE NOT HERE. You probably do not have friends in NYC, who when the commute daily to Manhattan see the rubble that houses thousands of corpses.

"How many innocent people did die when you dropped the atom bombs (two of them if i remember right) in Japan."

First off, this is very irrelevant to the September 11th attacks. Most Americans were not alive then.

"I see people in the net saying that this and that should be removed because of what happened on the *don’t remember the day* when the terrorist hit the buildings."

Note- some people saying some stuff do not represent the majority. And funny joke there in the aterisk........::note sarcasm::

I'm not too mad at your post, it's just riddled with generalizations. I'm pretty sure you didn't wake up September 11th, turn on your TV, and see Manhattan covered in black smoke live, knowing that one of your best friends live there.

Anyway, my bet for OBL is UberKrux. Guy puts Uber in his name and uses it out of context and spells it wrong.

BTW Uber- Ueber does not mean "super" in German. That's false. Ueber means "over".

Comment

Actually, I would consider Ãœber to be a better spelling, but *shrug* not everyone has access to umlauts. There is no ueber, it's not a german word (edit: it was in all probability a typo, but I'll keep it here).

über = over, sometimes super
                      Ãœbermensch = Superman
                      herüber = over there

Satisfied? Look it up in any German-English dictionary.
                      I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                      New faces...Strange places,
                      Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                      -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

I have no idea where he came up with UberKrux as the main suspect. Look to the OT for DLs, not the Civ3 forums.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Gasmaske

Who he?
                          Obergruppenführer-SS Erich von dem Bach-Zelewski has one of the most charming resumes in Nazi history.

Lowlights included command of the Einsatzgruppen, chief of police (an SS function) and higher SS (good guys like the Gestapo, SD, etc., but not including the Waffen-SS units in the field or the SS-Totenkopfverbande) in the Army Group Center sector of the Eastern front. The true lowlight of his career was as the SS field commander directly responsible for suppressing the Warsaw ghetto uprising. For that purpose, he raised an SS brigade scraped from the worst of the worst of the German penal system, including condemned murderers who hadn't yet been shot. They operated with a lack of restraint that was truly amazing, even by SS standards (mass murder was normal, mass mutilation displays weren't really quite so common among the SS). Whether it's anecdotal or not, a couple of sources reported that Himmler was physically sick at reading von dem Bach-Zelewski's reports of the activities of the prison brigades. (as a matter of common sense and security, most of the members thereof were eventually shot, since they had shown what they were capable of on the loose and with weapons)

After the war, he made a deal with the Nürnburg prosecutors, and testified against Himmler and others. The Germans later put him on trial for various offenses, including killing of communists in 1933, involvement in the killings of Ernst Rohm and the SA leadership in 1934, etc. He was never tried for his role as commander of the Einsatzgruppen (responsible for about 2 million murders), or for any other mass murder, including the supression of the Warsaw ghetto uprising.

He died an old man, in 1972.
                          Last edited by MichaeltheGreat; October 26, 2001, 02:34.
                          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude
                            This is the most absurd display of political correctness I have ever heard of. Who cares if someone calls themselves OBL or Hitler or Albert Speer or Genghis Khan.
                            The owners.

I guess what it comes down to is whether or not the moderator is offended.
                            There's lots of names I find offensive to some degree which I let go. Very few names have ever (Hitler comes to mind, ethnic cleanser was another) been restricted. If anyone doesn't like it (if done by a mod), then talk to Mark or Dan. It's their site, and their prerogative.

I hope I don't get banned for expressing this opinion.
                            Nope. Not even remotely close. We generally respect people who give their straight, no-BS opinions. Although if it's for the 200th time on a years old dead issue, we might be a little less tolerant.

By the way is there a list of banable offenses and outlawed names so people can conform like sheep .
                            Bannable offenses are covered in the FAQs. As for names, we generally have better things to do than think of every conceivable name that won't be allowed. Things like "youcanallblowme" probably won't get far, though.

Banning someones right to post based on their name; That sounds more Taliban than American
                            The Taleban do not allow the use of the internet, except to their members and their pets like al Qaeda. This is a private site, owned by a Canadian and a Greek, so I don't think they really care much about sounding American. But the right of private organizations to set their own policies and rules is pretty American, though.
                            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

What if I wanted to name myself "Pinochet", "Mao", or "Siraj-ud-daulah" (the Nawab of Bengal involved in the Black Hole of Calcutta incident)? How 'bout "General Dyer" (presided over the Jallianwala Bagh massacre)?

We allow apologists for all sorts of repulsive personalities to speak their minds here. Why don't we allow one to name himself after this terrorist?
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Daoloth
                                To quote Immortal Wombat:

"I'm not saying give him a fair chance in a duel. I'm merely suggesting (primarily for the sake of argument)"

So in other words, he's admitting to troll behavior.
                                Trolling for the sake of trolling is pointless. I was providing a counter-argument that wouldn't have been ventured by anyone else, given that the OBL login was disabled. Playing the Devil's Advocate is a nicer sounding term
                                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                                X