Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow...I thought there wasn't a double standard

Granted, he's the owner of the site...

...but why is a 2 page long thread in Greek, with only 1/10 of the posters posting in greek (the rest posting spam) still there?

Double standard?
    Yes
    56.25%
    No, threads started by admins while drunk don't count.
    43.75%
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

They openly admit to that one:
    "Admins can't spam"

Although it is rather insulting and belitting, isn't it?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

...but what about all the non-admin spam going on in the thread.
      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

The difference being at least one admin found that thread interesting, by personal bias.

But there is no personal bias, remember?

Yes, there obviously is a double standard.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

'Wow, there's a hornet nest, lets set off a firecracker underneath it'

Ah, I dunno, I think due to the post counts being eliminated, spam is a bit better tolerated in the OT because the admins feel sure that it isn't done for post count reasons. I think the OT feels quite relaxed, so I am not concerned about double standards either. I am sure though orange that we will run a good OT at CGN!
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

That obviously isn't the case, PH, because they feel the need to delete my threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              That obviously isn't the case, PH, because they feel the need to delete my threads.
              Alas I never saw your thread so I cannot comment. For all I know, they may have had good reason to close it. But I still don't know the story why you disappeared for good, but returned very quickly. Never mind egg, you must have had a veritable poultry farm in your face
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                For all I know, they may have had good reason to close it.
                They cited it as "spam".
                ie: uninteresting to the mods

However, greek on an 99.99% English forum isn't spam. No, not at all...

Comment

OK... I admit it when it comes to the owners of the site, we are biased... and for good reason. It is their site, and frankly, they can do WHATEVER they want here.
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Where would this site be without the visitors, hmm?

It's not nice to set double standards, regardless of their status on the site.

Comment

Well Asher... I do hear you... and you do make a valid point.

However, people that own companies are welcome to run them as they see fit... as long as they aren't breaking the law. The same holds true here. They have put a lot of work in this site... far more than I'm sure most people even realize. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have such a great place to post...

So, since MarkG is technically my boss, I think I will cut him some slack

Plus, I'm not going to be the one that closes or deletes his thread.

(even though I'm really tempted since all the spammers are feasting on the thread)
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

Irony... Sweet Irony....

Has anyone realized that comparing last year's OT to today's OT:

Last Year:

- post counts active in OTF
                        - many less then serious threads floating around (word association, coffee shop, etc.)
                        - less harsh spam control

This Year:

- post counts deactivated
                        - mor serious posts in the OTF
                        - harsher spam control

Indeed, this is most ironic......
                        *grumbles about work*

Comment

Don't forget:

This year

-More on-topic spam

Comment

I disagree completely. I am FAR LESS harsh on spam since the change. Yeah, we always allowed one running word association thread, and the coffee shop as "safety valves". But we were pretty ruthless when it came to spam. Now, I close/delete less threads and have restricted far less people for spamming. I've only deleted two threads today, and I think I closed two... far lower than in the past when I use to average deleting 5 or more a day... But I can only speak for myself. MtG would have to give you his take on it for a well rounded picture.
                            Keep on Civin'

Comment

I think the enforcement of spam has been far less harsh, as Ming said (though the Asher thread shines out against this IMO), but I do feel that the amount of spam has either stayed the same or gone up. Not the intended results, I'm sure

Comment

Working...
                              X