J'accuse!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J'accuse!

MarkG: I've been around a fairly long time, and you know I'm not one of the incendiary types, but the current rigidity surrounding Civ3-related threads is absurd.

First we see the closure of threads in the Multiplayer forum simply because - gasp! - they dared to broach the topic of Civ3 multiplayer. Now the madness has spread to the Scenario League forum, where a thread was closed simply because the author sought to recruit a band of designers to work on Civ3 Scenarios.

If you REALLY want to offend a large number of the oldest and most loyal members of this forum, by all means continue to impose this mindless policy.
    To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

posting the same thing in several forums is not something that is allowed here Kull, even if it's for something good.

but because this was for something good, the threads were not deleted, but closed.
    thus, the threads served their purpose and the discussion will continue in the correct forum.

unless you would like to have the discussions about this proposition split in 5 forums
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
      posting the same thing in several forums is not something that is allowed here Kull, even if it's for something good.
      Absolutely true.

but because this was for something good, the threads were not deleted, but closed. thus, the threads served their purpose and the discussion will continue in the correct forum.
      I agree, but with one caveat: Anytime a moderator closes a thread, especially when the reason is obscure, the courtesy of a brief explanation would be appreciated - if for no other reason than to spare yourselves accusations like this.

unless you would like to have the discussions about this proposition split in 5 forums
      Obviously not, but you still haven't addressed the key issue:

My real concern in all this was it appeared that Apolyton was going to try and funnel ALL discussion of Civ3 into those forums. And THAT doesn't make sense. So long as they are discussing multiplayer issues in the Multiplayer forum, or we're talking about scenarios in the Scenario League - and especially if it's CIV (who cares which version) - then we are, IMHO - ON TOPIC! If that's also your understanding, then I have no beef and will go quietly into the night......
      To La Fayette, as fine a gentleman as ever trod the Halls of Apolyton

From what I understand of that Civ game of yours, it's all about launching one's own spaceship before the others do. So this is no big news after all: my father just beat you all to the stars once more. - Philippe Baise

Comment

Originally posted by Kull
        I agree, but with one caveat: Anytime a moderator closes a thread, especially when the reason is obscure, the courtesy of a brief explanation would be appreciated - if for no other reason than to spare yourselves accusations like this.
        i felt sure that
        a) hoek as an old member of the forums would understand my reason
        or
        b) someone would start a thread about it

My real concern in all this was it appeared that Apolyton was going to try and funnel ALL discussion of Civ3 into those forums. And THAT doesn't make sense. So long as they are discussing multiplayer issues in the Multiplayer forum, or we're talking about scenarios in the Scenario League - and especially if it's CIV (who cares which version) - then we are, IMHO - ON TOPIC! If that's also your understanding, then I have no beef and will go quietly into the night......
        the MP forum that you refer too, is the Civ2-MP...
        notice the bold...

You have a point about Scenario League, but i still think it would be better(for the idea itself) to have discussion done in one place

Comment

i went looking for the collaborative scenario maker request in the civ3 general forum, since Marks pointed to this thread in explaining why that one was closed, so i inferred that it was a double post. after quick scanning the only scenario related thread I found there was one where some people were getting very excited that civ3 would allow them to do things that Sleaguers have been doing with civ2 for years. I think serious scenario discussions relating to civ3 will have to take place in sleague, or something similar. I appreciate the mods concern not to have duplicate posts and duplicate threads, but it would be helpful if they made explicitly clear that not everything relating to civ3 is on topic only in the civ3 forum.

LOTM
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

lotm, hoek's thread in the civ3-general is this

and yes, i suppose one can say that the sleague forum is covering "civ3-creation" discussions although the site has no civ3 material. i think though that it would be more important if we clarified the future of sleague and it's forum. if the sleague forum is only going to be a parallel forum to the future Civ3-Creation forum, i dont see a point for it's existance.

Comment

the posts about the SL forum have been moved to a new thread

Comment

Working...
              X