c187# THE ESOTERIC ALLURE OF CIVILIZATION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c187# THE ESOTERIC ALLURE OF CIVILIZATION

<A href="/misc/column/187_civ3.shtml" target="_top">187# THE ESOTERIC ALLURE OF CIVILIZATION</a>
    <i>Will civ3 be as flexible as civ2?</i>

By Snapcase
    Last edited by MarkG; September 30, 2001, 19:35.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Excellent article Snapcase

I can relate to this:
    I loved the Fantastic Worlds expansion but I don’t recall ever actually finishing one of the scenarios in it. Throwing oneself over the new rules and the graphics sets was immensely more enjoyable. I may wince today at my hierarchy of the animals modpack, at my heaven vs. hell scenario and my rather pitiful Druids in Africa dullfest (they’re mercifully gone in my last Hard-Drive crash), but I had incredible amounts of fun making them and testing them before throwing them on an imaginary bonfire
    Last edited by Case; October 1, 2001, 07:07.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Just 'cause you just learned a new word don't mean that you have to put it in the title. That's just so esoteric of you.

Otherwise:

Comment

Wow! Great article. I haven't actually made and mods for FW, but I have still felt the allure. Mostly I find myself tweaking the rules to change how the game works. One of my current projects involves making every citizen eat 3 food. makes that move out of despotism very neccessary.

Snapcase has written under 3 different names? I'm going to have to check my records....
        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

#99 under my real name.

#119 under a Pseudonym because I was using the column as a vehicle for launching one of my Double Logins, back in my bad old days.

#168 under the name "Snapcase".

The first one could have been under my user name at the time, "Hugo Rune", had I thought of using it.
          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

So does anyone else have a conflicting theory of the mod appeal?
            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

I don't know about making mods. I do know that it was really enjoyable looking around on Apolyton and going "Wow, that looks cool!". Problem was, the ideas were always better than the implementation. I also liked all the neat units and stuff. Having so many different mods for Civ2 makes it a ton better than any of the other 'psuedo-civs'. The original game is a little stale, but you can just play a mod to bring back the excitement.
              I never know their names, But i smile just the same
              New faces...Strange places,
              Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
              -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Working...
              X