Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netscape, Pop-up Ad Clash With Each Other

Markos, et al.:

In recent days, I have been unable to get past the Forums Main Page using Netscape Navigator 4.08. I think it's due to the pop-up ad (which I knowingly chose as an option). The ad comes up as a blank orange-ish window and does nothing else. Thing is, I can't access any other pages at 'Poly when that happens.

In the past, the ad has loaded properly using NS and I've been able to navigate 'Poly. But not for the last few days. I suspect it might be something with the pop-up ad itself (probably contains an element that my NS can't handle).

I do have Internet Explorer as a backup program (and it's working so far at 'Poly), but I'd like to know why NS doesn't work on 'Poly now. As usual, I only encounter this problem at 'Poly. Why can't GameStats/UGO get damn ads that work with all browsers?

Thanks for any insights.

CYBERAmazon
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Hm, have you tried Mozilla?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UR:

No, I haven't. What's the big deal with Mozilla? Is it really that good? And if I do DL it, is that all I get is the browser? Because that's all I want ... don't need any other "bundled" software to go along with the browser. Half the "bundled" crap is a generation behind what I already have on my 'puter as standalone apps and therefore causes unwanted headaches.

CYBERAmazon
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

If you suspect it's the pop-up ad, CA, then when browsing Apolyton -- at least through Netscape -- try exercising the second 468x60 banner option through your forum account's Control Panel instead. If you do indeed prefer the pop-up, and by the sound of things you do, try going back to it in a few days.

It sounds like that if your deductions are correct than it is an ad that is currently running quite frequently at the moment and, of course, all ad campaigns (good and bad) come to an end at some point.

-----------------
        Dan; Apolyton CS
        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Dan:

I was able to access my control panel prior to the screwy ad being able to load. That option is now disabled and I can once again use Netscape to navigate 'Poly.

Perhaps in a week or two I shall go back to the pop-up option.

Thanks.

CYBERAmazon

Comment

Working...
          X