Stupid Question Really...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Question Really...

Yes, this is a stupid question and I could probably get the answer if I had a little search about...

I am on AOL. AOL let you have seven different email addresses. My household has seven. One for each of my bastard children !

Yes, I am so gay being on AOL, I know. But with seven different addresses, would it be possible to become seven different spammers on Apolyton's forums? If none of us were cookied, how could you tell Alynzia with Alynzia@aol.com wasn't, say, MrFriction with HorNE4men@aol.com or Erectron with Iamgay@aol.com or even PinkLeatherMan... Oh I'll stop there.

This actually worries me. I'd not have a double login because I am working on getting Alynzia her custom avatar, but how do we know all AOLers are not the same person? Oh, but it would be nice to have a DL so somebody would be nice to me and love my stories. We love Alynzia!

Actually, I don't want a custom avatar anymore, they are so pretentious. "Ooh, look at me with my custom avatar, I've worked so hard spamming for this." Is a custom avatar worth so many hours of spammical labour? It's not enough, is it? Do you want a golden post window, or your name in lights?

Alynzia.

I have no other logins but I hope I've aroused enough suspicion as to get you to accuse me of being someone else. You never know... The beast may walk among you in several deviant forms

Your IP address gets recorded when you post so if you have a DL you can be seen to be posting with two ids from the same address. And then... Toast
    (+1)

Comment

Originally posted by Gasmaske
      Your IP address gets recorded when you post so if you have a DL you can be seen to be posting with two ids from the same address. And then... Toast
      Gasmaske, do you know that or are you just guessing?
      Alynzia, not at all clear how your real or imagined depravity affects your ability to play civ.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Yes... IP addresses are the key. When we notice multiple log ons from the same IP address... yes, "TOAST"

Now, we are aware that multiple people do use the same computer sometimes... home, university, ect...
        We usually get an email after shutting somebody down explaining that mulitple people are using the same connection.
        We follow up and try to get them to prove that that is indeed the case. Usually, we are pretty easy about it if they provide some evidence.

However... if the IP address is one that we have had some problems with (multiple account history, spam, hate threads, ect...) we get very tough
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

By the way, why did Apolyton let me register with an "anonymous-type" yahoo address?
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            By the way, why did Apolyton let me register with an "anonymous-type" yahoo address?
            Under the old software, those types of "free" email addresses were restricted because of problems with DL's.

With the new software, that restriction is no longer needed.
            There are MANY new features that allow us to track down DL's... Now granted, anybody with half a brain can create one... getting away with if for long if you are causing problems is another thing
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Under the old software, those types of "free" email addresses were restricted because of problems with DL's.

With the new software, that restriction is no longer needed.
              There are MANY new features that allow us to track down DL's... Now granted, anybody with half a brain can create one... getting away with if for long if you are causing problems is another thing
              So I take it that I can now change my email adress to my hotmail one?
              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
              - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Aha! So you can tell which PC I am on, right? Good stuff. No need to test the AOL thing and get toasted then!

But I assume anybody with friends and family with seperate internet connections could have as many logins as they wanted if they were allowed to use those people's computers. You just wouldn't be allowed to mix and match which login you used on which computer because you would get rumbled, so to speak.

I recently tried changing Alynzia's email to a yahoo.co.uk one because I am always on yahoo checking out stuff. But I wasn't allowed to have it, so I used an AOL one again.

And I resent being called depraved, Blaupanzer. I am a nice pony-tailed Catholic virgin girl, who has never sworn in front of my parents/grandparents. If I seem depraved it is because a lot of users here appear to be innuendo loving homosexual men. I am merely trying to fit in. If you can show me a page of Off Topic threads with no swearing or crude references contained, you'll not hear a naughty peep out of me. I promise.

Comment

Why does all of this seem to be streching credibility?
                  I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                  i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Working...
                  X