Ahem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahem...

I don't know how this has happened, but today I got a 'promotional' (translation: spam) email from Hewlett Packard, citing my Apolyton screenname. Has my email address been given out to companies like HP?
    "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Have you publicly mentioned you own an HP printer or mentioned that you were looking for a printer or something like that...?

Comment

SMAC Fanatic:

Rest assured that your email address was not distributed by any member of the Apolyton staff, administration or the GameStats staff or administration for that matter. It is possible, however, that they got your email address through your account profile if you have your preferences set such that your email address is publicly visible. There is readily available spider software that goes out, gathers email addresses and is then sold and resold to companies such as Hewlett Packard.

----------------
      Dan; Apolyton CS
      PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
      >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

can you send me a copy of the mail at markg@gamestats.com ?
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

HP has really lost the edge... what a way to market your products for a DOW company
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Sell HP Stock now. It must be on the skids
            (+1)

Comment

I just like to take this opportunity to thank Mark and Dan for holding up to the high standards of privacy. With all the downturns in internet ventures, many have stooped to some less than ethical methods to sustain their bottom line.

But real class shows.

BRAVO,

RAH
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Gasmaske
                Sell HP Stock now. It must be on the skids
                Their stock is now $15.. .which is the lowest level since i don't know... 1996 or similar

HP with this stock price is around 10 times less worth than Microsoft.... quite bad for a company with 80000 employees...

Somebody could just buy them and sell the assets....
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

My mistake! Ugh....

Gosh, I feel stupid. It's not Apolyton at all, but Delphi that's at fault. I registered for a Delphi SMAC forum a while ago, and it must've been them who sent me the HP email.

A thousand apologies for the incorrect accusation I directed at Apolyton. You're not to blame at all!

Stupid Delphi...
                  "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

O well...one worry less for the Apolyton-community...

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave
                      HP with this stock price is around 10 times less worth than Microsoft.... quite bad for a company with 80000 employees...

Somebody could just buy them and sell the assets....
                      So you rather own shares in a company that manipulate stocks? Good choice.

P.S. M$ is not at $150.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                      X