Nimda virus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nimda virus

I think you all have heard of this one. A virus that can get into your computer by simply browsing infected web pages. I've been suffering its annoying effects for a pair of days now, it's OK now, I've got defintely rid off it plus I've downloaded a Microsoft security patch for filling the IE "void" that allowed the virus to enter, but...

Is Apolyton free from this thing? I mean, I'm not sure that the virus came to my computer from Apolyton, I'd just like to ask Markos and Dan if they've made Apolyton secure from this kind of virus?
    "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
    - Spiro T. Agnew

what are the effects?
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Various, as it seems, but my own annoying experience was the continuosus appearance of a small "envelope" icon in my windows tasks(?) bar. If I erased it, it would place itself again at the same spot. Each time with a different name, the name of a rendom file in my computer. If you clicj on it, an Outlook "New message" screen will pop up, with a pair of strange attachments. Though I suspect that more things were happening in the "background"...

Anyone else experienced (or still does) this?
      - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Nimda Cleaner!

Comment

thanks zopper, I will have to check at home... you can't even surf safely these days...
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

You're welcome...just make sure you update your virusscanner regularly...and I also have a subscription on a newsletter concerning virus-alerts...

Comment

for a pair of days

Couple of days, not pair of days.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                for a pair of days

Couple of days, not pair of days.
                Thanks, BC... You'd be surprised to see how much my English has actually improved since I browse these forums...
                - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Re: Nimda virus

Originally posted by Fiera
                  Is Apolyton free from this thing? I mean, I'm not sure that the virus came to my computer from Apolyton, I'd just like to ask Markos and Dan if they've made Apolyton secure from this kind of virus?
                  The virus only uses M$ software. Since apolyton runs on a linux server it is safe.
                  http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Hi Fiera.

As Thue has already said, GameStats (our hosts) runs Linux exclusively on its servers and the Nimda virus and the various others that you have heard about in recent weeks affects only operating systems developed by Microsoft. Thus, Apolyton and the GS network as a whole is safe from this and similar viral threats.

-----------------
                    Dan; Apolyton CS
                    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

I see, thanks!
                      - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Working...
                      X