The Right to an Avatar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Right to an Avatar

When the new forum features came around I was very excited; especially having an avatar. The requirements were 500 or more posts and/or being a member of Apolyton for over one year. So I chose an avatar and roatated and then left my current one there for a while. Then the WTC bombing happened. I was 90 blocks away at the time I feel really moved by what happened. SO I decided to change my of my personal preferences to reflect this. One I wanted to implement was change my avatar to an American flag. But when I go to change it it says you need 500 posts NOTHING about one year membership. This really bothers as it probably does to others. So to the administrators (MArkG and DanQ) please set it back to one year membership or if not that than two year membership. Why should faithful members be penalized just because they don't post nearly as much as other people?
    Georgi Nikolai Anzyakov, Commander Grand Northern Front, Red Front Democracy Game

Hear, hear!

Forgive my ignorance, but why and when did the rules covering custom avatars change?
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

So does this mean that even though I currently have a custom avatar, I can't change it to a different custom avatar? I've been here since 1969 for crying out loud!

Comment

The hack for doing this dissapered when Mark upgraded to 2.0.3
        He can rewrite it anyway. He've made it once
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Agreed! We lurkers want our custom avatars back!
          oh god how did this get here I am not good with livejournal

Comment

So to the administrators (MArkG and DanQ) please set it back to one year membership or if not that than two year membership

You know you could just ask them to raise your post count to 500.
            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
              So to the administrators (MArkG and DanQ) please set it back to one year membership or if not that than two year membership

You know you could just ask them to raise your post count to 500.
              Or they could give you an avatar that you can't change

Comment

I think my way is better.

Comment

I agree. Loyalty beats spammers. (does this give me one point towards a custom avatar?)
                  To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                    I think my way is better.
                    Anyway, the best way would to reimplement that hack, it used some code from the title system I think.

Comment

Or just spam this thread long enough to get 500 posts .
                      http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

spam
                        To be one with the Universe is to be very lonely - John Doe - Datalinks

Comment

Looking at the direction where this thread is going, I wouldn't be surprised to see it get closed...

Comment

Lesson #12: How to spam with subtlety

So much for subtlety.

The most subtle way to spam is to use three or four lines so that it appears that you are saying something important and valid. As most people fail to read all posts thoroughly, and that includes mods, they will not notice the well-hidden spam.

A one liner saying "spam" just screams out to the mods that you are a spammer.

It also helps if you say something vaguely on topic....

Comment

I have to say Big Crunch that your post was the epitomie of good sense.

More seriously, I have been around months and will probably never get anywhere near 500 posts but I have a funny name and a great avatar waiting to be used so go on mods do the decent thing! Here is my avatar if you are feeling kind
                              Attached Files
                              (+1)

Comment

Working...
                              X