c186# LAMENT OF AN OBSESSIVE GAME MODIFIER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c186# LAMENT OF AN OBSESSIVE GAME MODIFIER

<A href="/misc/column/186_mod.shtml" target="_top">186# LAMENT OF AN OBSESSIVE GAME MODIFIER</a>
    <i>A hymn to modification</i>

by John Bytheway
    Last edited by MarkG; September 16, 2001, 16:20.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

All of my possible comments equal one thing: "Ditto"

-Smack
    Visit Aldebaran:Aldebaranweb

Comment

Excellent JBTW , I appreciate your help in the CTP-PBEM and CTP- General forums. You've made my gaming expierence a bit easier.

A warm thanks to you my fried

Comment

I thought the comment to the effect of "rules inconsistencies appear to be a result of later rushed development" was interesting.

I think a rules-based system may be a bit more cumbersome in terms of lines of code. But it is likely to be pay off. Not just in player mods. But in the play-balanceing that the designers do while creating the game.

Comment

Dammit! I know I should have submitted my own column on a similar topic earlier!

Anyway, well put. Your CtP experiences practically mirror my SMAC ones, except that game was deficient in the editing department and I never really got going with it. Same with StarCraft, really- I thought the editor was brilliant but the kind of mod I'd want to make was simply not possible. No, the games I've edited the most (except civ2) have been racing games and first person shooters, Micro Machines 2, Duke Nukem 3D and most recently Unreal Tournament, where I spent several months making a "Coffee Table of The Devil" level. Those three editing tools I consider to be the best ones, for their particular purposes.
          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

A salute to you for having spent all that time making mods!

I have to agree that this adds seriously to the longevity of the game. I myself spend almost as much time making rules modifications and playing under them to see how it works out, as I do trying various ways of playing under the standard rules.
            Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
            ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

I have ctp, and wil be interested in playing your mod/scenario whenever it comes out, assuming that is before civ3, becuase iam running out of fun in civ2 and ctp (the only two civ-games i have) right in time for civ3... but its still cut short a month :-D anyway, put it up on apolyton and PM or email me when it comes out, and at least one person will enjoy your hard work.
              And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Huh?

Civ III's system requirements are too high? What, are you running a Tandy from 1986?

Comment

Working...
                X