No announcement yet.

Server Too Busy !?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

john, i see that you continue to use a default style....
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Markos, you should check this out.

There seem to be an error with IE 5.5 cashing all custom avatars, and loading them again every time.
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Default style? What do you mean by default style? Do you suspect that this is somehow killing my forum access?

John-SJ

Comment

Originally posted by John-SJ
          Default style? What do you mean by default style? Do you suspect that this is somehow killing my forum access?
          the style with which you view the forums

in the options page, see the "style set" setting

Comment

Oh, I thought that's what you meant but in the context I wasn't sure.

Yes, I still use the default style, I tried some of the others and decided that having the forum easy to read as well as easy on the eyes is more important to me than an outlandish color scheme. IOW, I am more concerned with utility than bells and whistles.

John-SJ

Comment

Originally posted by John-SJ
              Oh, I thought that's what you meant but in the context I wasn't sure.

Yes, I still use the default style, I tried some of the others and decided that having the forum easy to read as well as easy on the eyes is more important to me than an outlandish color scheme. IOW, I am more concerned with utility than bells and whistles.
              eeer the style named "Light" has the exact same colors as the "Default" but loads faster (cause some extra things are missing)

Comment

Hey! Wonders never cease! For the first time in weeks I am able to get into the forums after work in less than a minute! (Sometimes I've waited longer, like 5-10 minutes and still couldn't get in, at that point I consider something badly broken) But in practice, if I have to wait a minute normally I'll just go, it's not worth that much time and frustration.

Mark, I'll check out the light style, but I really don't think that's the real issue. Today when I clicked the forum link it took only a few seconds to load the page, and getting to this forum page also took only a few seconds, like less than 5 in either case. I would say that that is because of a DSL connection on my end and a forum server that is working properly.

On days when it takes a full minute to load a page I still have a DSL connection on my end and I can get good performance on other UBB or similar boards, so it seems to me that the problem is with the Apolyton forum server rather than with my computer, internet connection, ISP, or style that I happen to be using.

Sound reasonable?

John-SJ

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                  eeer the style named "Light" has the exact same colors as the "Default" but loads faster (cause some extra things are missing)
                  Why not make the light style default. If that's what youwant people on?

Comment

Because then he not get to see as much grousing from his loyal patrons. He is a glutton for it.
                    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                      Why not make the light style default. If that's what youwant people on?
                      actually, i would like all people to be on the "special" styles, default or light i dont care

so you still think i should force all people to one style?

Comment

So am I on default? Is default, default?

Comment

Working...
                        X