Server Too Busy !?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Too Busy !?!

I have never encountered that on ACS before, but in the last two days it occurred 3 times. Dan, you should get on top of things and get those excuses for tech support to fix the servers ASAP.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

1. I've gotten it too.

2. Seems like people are starting to join my point of view on the technicians...

Comment

it's a feature of vbulletin that we've enable a couple of days ago

in some occassions it could help from having more problems.

it's not like anything is lost. just wait a couple of seconds and reload.
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
        it's a feature of vbulletin that we've enable a couple of days ago

in some occassions it could help from having more problems.

it's not like anything is lost. just wait a couple of seconds and reload.
        I'm not sure if he's kidding or not.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

what do you prefer? waiting a few seconds or waiting a few hours?

Comment

Okay...I didn't say it was necessarily not valid...it's just that the word "feature" has become a bit of a joke around here.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
              what do you prefer? waiting a few seconds or waiting a few hours?
              Markos, are you saying that the server's going to crash if the number of users aren't somehow limited?

IIRC the box has dual PIII. It should be able to handle a couple of hundreds of users eaily...
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Markos, are you saying that the server's going to crash if the number of users aren't somehow limited?

IIRC the box has dual PIII. It should be able to handle a couple of hundreds of users eaily...
                I think it has something to do with the slowdown this Monday. But I might be wrong.
                Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  or we could have problems like the ones we had on monday....

Comment

I don't think he's kidding this time. that server busy screen is actually supposed to show up every so often. Why can't they fix this problem instead of slowing down the server?

Comment

Its just for you low low lifes, its never too busy for me.
                      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Is there a way to make submitting a post take preference on the server thing than other clicks? I lost an entire post because the server was busy. I hit back and it had disappeared. Today the post was still there but for some reason the first time what I had typed disappeared.

Any ways, I don't mind all that much. But it would be great if posting had prefrence at least until the post goes through.
                        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

"Dan, you should get on top of things and get those excuses for tech support to fix the servers ASAP."

UR, you have no idea how much work I do on Apolyton and GameStats on top of being a full-time university undergraduate student. I could go on and on and b*tch about all the work I have to do, but I won't. We all have to work to do and I'm not going to stand up and preach about it on a soapbox. Suffice to say that I am doing my job (as Director of Operations of GameStats) to the best of my ability -- I give 110% day in and day out -- and am in as constant communication with GS Tech as possible. I respectfully request that you do not make such statements when you do not know all the details of a particular circumstance.

Instead of just complaining to me like this, you can help the situation yourself by emailing Tony Bolger (Director of Technology) directly at <A HREF="mailto:tonyb@worldchat.com">tonyb@worldchat. com</A> and let him know what is going on and how frustrated you are about it. It has been proven time and time again that there is power in numbers.

----------------
                          Dan; Apolyton CS

P.S. I want to re-emphasize as I have said on previous occasions that I am <I>not</I> the boss of anyone in the technical department at GameStats. This is clearly stated on the "About: Staff" page on GameStats.com
                          PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Should Urban Ranger do the work himself

Comment

(as per Dan's request I am e-mailing this to tonyb@worldchat.com as well.

I have constant trouble with the forums at www.apolyton.net.

When I load the front page (at apolyton.net) it loads in under 1 second.  I click the forums link and I am still waiting over 3 minutes later.  Most often, if the forums page does not load in under 30 seconds I don't wait around to see if it will.

For the past couple of months the forum performance has been slowly degrading.  Now it is to the point where if I expect to be able to use the forum I have to get on before 10 AM PDT.  After that and there is little chance that I will be able to use it.

I sure hope that other forums open up by the time Civ 3 comes out becuase unless Apolyton is able to make major (and I mean MAJOR) improvements I won't be using this forum at all for a Civ 3 community site.

I hate to see this happen, but I fear that Apolyton is on the way down.  Oh well, it was nice whilie it lasted.

This is the output from tracert to www.apolyton.net.

Tracing route to alpha.gamestats.com [204.138.239.69]
                              over a maximum of 30 hops:
                                1    17 ms    16 ms    18 ms  adsl-216-103-214-254.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net [216.103.214.254]
                                2    16 ms    17 ms    16 ms  core3-g2-0.snfc21.pbi.net [206.171.134.130]
                                3    16 ms    16 ms    16 ms  edge2-g2-0.snfc21.pbi.net [209.232.130.76]
                                4    18 ms    16 ms    19 ms  edge1-p6-3.snfc21.pbi.net [64.161.124.5]
                                5    18 ms    18 ms    20 ms  sl-gw25-stk-8-3.sprintlink.net [160.81.16.21]
                                6    21 ms    19 ms    20 ms  sl-bb21-stk-8-1.sprintlink.net [144.232.4.225]
                                7    54 ms    52 ms    53 ms  sl-bb20-kc-11-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.9.205]
                                8    54 ms    53 ms    55 ms  sl-bb22-kc-4-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.2.134]
                                9    55 ms    52 ms    53 ms  sl-bb20-kc-6-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.2.129]
                               10    66 ms    65 ms    66 ms  sl-bb23-chi-11-2.sprintlink.net [144.232.8.202]
                               11    64 ms    66 ms    66 ms  sl-gw31-chi-9-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.10.50]
                               12    66 ms    64 ms    66 ms  sl-bce-1-0.sprintlink.net [160.81.92.2]
                               13    64 ms    66 ms    66 ms  core2-chicago23-pos11-0.in.bellnexxia.net [206.108.103.126]
                               14    78 ms    76 ms    76 ms  core3-toronto12-pos6-3.in.bellnexxia.net [206.108.103.117]
                               15    75 ms    76 ms    77 ms  core1-toronto12-pos5-0.in.bellnexxia.net [64.230.242.193]
                               16    79 ms    79 ms    78 ms  core2-hamilton14-pos1-0.in.bellnexxia.net [64.230.241.126]
                               17    79 ms    81 ms    79 ms  dis4-hamilton14-pos5-0-0.in.bellnexxia.net [64.230.241.106]
                               18    83 ms    78 ms    79 ms  204.138.239.66
                               19    88 ms   107 ms   104 ms  alpha.gamestats.com [204.138.239.69]
                              Trace complete.

Comment

Working...
                              X