Thread Rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread Rating

Okay, I just changed from the light style to the default style to check if it had acceptable speed. Then I remember the rating feature, and tries to find a thread with high rating. After looking around a while without finding any thread I return to the Civ3-General forum (where I remembered that I had seen ratings when the upgrade was new). I selected to show threads from the beginning, sorted after rating. I expected to get a page with highly rated threads, but no, the listing was still sorted after last post.
    I left the Civ3 forum and came here. Did the same procedure with the same result. Then I decided to ask this question:

Is the Thread rating inactivated, out of order or is it just no one that votes?

<SMALL>Note: Civ3 - styles are used.</SMALL>
    [COLOR=LIGHTGREEN]Yes[/COLOR] :b:
    16.67%
    [COLOR=RED]No[/COLOR] :q:
    83.33%
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

i don't ay attention to the rating in fact i don't think i've evr ordered anything by rating. i just pay attention to whoever started the thread

Comment

It's a "who cares" feature to me.

Never bother with it.
      I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
      i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Never used it myself. There was the occassional thread in the beginning of the vB days that acquired a rating, but the novelty wore off very fast. Totally redundant. The other features of vB are very nice and I still like it, uBB seems very dated when I go back to a board that uses it, but this feature may as well get axed!
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The fact that nobody rates threads right now explains why there are no rated threads at the first pages, but it doesn’t explain why I can't sort after the rate while showing all threads.
          Markos, I know it must be hard right now (as you probably try to get the notification to work), but if you have time, can you check it up?

Comment

To be honest I'm not sure what the point of rating is anyway. Its not like we all agree on anything anyway so the value of any rating would be subjective to say the least.
            (+1)

Comment

Well this thread got a 1 (Worst) vote from me.

But it really is the first rating I have made in a while.
              And I remember that when the feature was first added, Markos made it so that you had to have a certain number of votes (I think 10) before the rating showed up so that no one person could make a thread go higher or lower in the ratings. But in reality it has done lttle for the forums.

Although it could be useful in the OT where there are just so many things being said all the time.
              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

That's why, soon after the move to vBB, I asked Markos to disable this feature. It's not used but takes up space.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

ratings continue to exist....

i had the setting at a minimum of 5 votes for the rating to show up

today i've dropped it to 1 to see how this goes...
                  Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                  Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                  giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Thread starter, replies and views is quite sufficient to 'rate' a thread.

OTOH, If I had to rate threads by title, Ralf´s 'More funnel-shaped spider-sandtraps in player-created maps' would get five stars.
                    "As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW

Comment

It seems as the rating has started again. Hope you did the right thing Mark. With a busy server, is it smart to overload it by ratings

Comment

Personally, I can't stand the look of the forum page when some threads are rated and others aren't. It throws everything off.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                          Personally, I can't stand the look of the forum page when some threads are rated and others aren't. It throws everything off.
                          You have to rate the one that aren't rated.

Mark, why can't they show up as the rating 0 (no stars, as you can't vote that)

Comment

I use Light style...I don't see any ratings...it's all bloody useless anyway...

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              Absolutely. I'm not against any rating system that can enhance the pleasure of surfing these forums, but as for the threads, every one should be rated ( the first poster to reply ,and so every other replyer must rate...) or none of them. The latter is probably simpler.
                              The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Working...
                              X