Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is ther no Colonization coverage in Apolyton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Despite good critical reviews and a loyal hardcore fanbase, it didn't do well commercially. Also, anyone doing a sequel would have to obtain rights from whoever is the successor-in-interest to MicroProse for the original game.

I know the rights part, even having said that I would have thought it was a lucrative purchase, if the game is done well. Althoigh I am surprised to hear that the original game was not a commercial success.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
      if someone can organize and produce such a content we would gladly consider it. until then we will continue trying to cover the more lively games....
      You may still buy Colonization. It must be living
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Markos, will you put up the Page I made?

Comment

I will give some thought to a strategy section for Colonization, as I have been playing the game for a good 6 years now...I will see how long it takes me to do.
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
            I will give some thought to a strategy section for Colonization, as I have been playing the game for a good 6 years now...I will see how long it takes me to do.
            Have you checked my col.zip above in this thread?

Comment

Yeah, I have had a look through. Good start, but I suppose for this thing to take off it will need to have a decent strategy section and a good bit of discussion. We need to get lots more people to get hold of Col...it is worth the effort...besides the windows version looks quite slick so it doesn't look quite as blocky and unfriendly as the DOS version...
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

If only Colonization had multiplayer. *sigh*

Colon should be able to do a lot on the game if his claim that its the basis of his username is correct. (I still have doubts about whether it is an abbreviation or not )
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                  Yeah, I have had a look through. Good start, but I suppose for this thing to take off it will need to have a decent strategy section and a good bit of discussion. We need to get lots more people to get hold of Col...it is worth the effort...besides the windows version looks quite slick so it doesn't look quite as blocky and unfriendly as the DOS version...
                  Yes, the DOS version are the best one.
                  We need a presentation, some screens, and some cool custom maps to start with. When we have that we may convince Mark that a colonization section is needed among the oldies.

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                  If only Colonization had multiplayer. *sigh*

You know, the DOS-version of the game has as mush multiplayer as the original Civ2 (Some strings in the text files.) What happened to the ColNet-project?

Comment

Crunch, yes my name is an abbreviation of Colonizer, but I’ve never been a hardcore player of it and I also think the other version of the origins of my handle leaves more room to the imagination.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I've started to work on a mapeditor more powerful then the one included with Colonization v3.0 for DOS. The biggest difference is that my editor will be window based and allow different sized maps.
                      I played on a 14x14 play area (16x16 mapsize), 12x14 land earlier today. It was kind of interesting.
                      I also placed a river on top of a mountain. You can't do that with the original editor.
                      My editor uses currently one graphic for each type of terrain (only one direction on rivers, hills and mountains, but it is easy to see what things are anyway.)

Comment

I never knew there was a map editor available for Colonization. I would be interested to use such a thing, even if just for novelty purposes :-D
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Hey Gramphos, I can't quite figure out what your avatar is, it looks like a goats skull in a cauldron full of lava.

BTW, if you go along to www.civgaming.net when it relaunches, there will be a colonization section. If some of us make the effort, we could make it the best one on the net quite easily!
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Provost,
                            You can get the patch for v3.0 from Infogames it includes a mapeditor, that work with fixed size maps.
                            I still try to figure out what the biggest mapsize is. The fileformat would support some very big maps, but I've not tested that with the game yet.
                            And my Current Avatar is taken from my brother's homepage, but I'll have the warrior back soon.
                            It i a goat-soupe

Comment

Now, I've been working all day (or at least since i got home from school) and extracted graphics for all directions of hills mountains minor and major rivers, but now it shows the maps quite well. The map squares to not enter each other, so it has some sharp contours, and rivers show up on top of water.
                              I currently have 144 gifs representing the terrain. (For al terrain that is on top of another I use two gifs, on 2-color image that is black where the image will be, and white where the image will be transparent. and one with the image that is black on transparent.)
                              At this state of progress the editor can load existing map-files correctly. (I think)

BTW, that editor in the patch will work without Colonization. You will only need the files included in the patch to use it.

Comment

Nice one, I am downloading it now!

I will be interested to see your map editor as well
                                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                                X