Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is ther no Colonization coverage in Apolyton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is ther no Colonization coverage in Apolyton?

Colonization is a civgame by Sid, and it deserves its own section among the oldies.
    It differs a lot from other civgames with its population model and its trade model with stocked resources. The game has only four major civs, but a great number of minor civs (the native Americans). It takes place in another time period then the other civgames, but it is using the turn system.
    If you compare Colonization with Civilization, you can say that Colonization is a small-scale version of Civilization. You have more control on what is happening, and every turn is a shorter period.

Is there a reason for not including Colonization in the oldies section?
    [COLOR=LIGHTGREEN]Yes[/COLOR] :b:
    68.42%
    [COLOR=RED]No[/COLOR] :q:
    31.58%
    Last edited by Gramphos; September 1, 2001, 07:16.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

I don't think there is that much to cover, it is an oldy and everything that can be said has been said. If it were multiplay it would be different but its not.

Having said that, if Colonization II ever came into development then it should definitely be covered, with an added sub-section for the original, in order to whet the appetite of those who missed out on such a classic.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

There should at least be a description of the game somewhere around here.

Comment

Because Colonization came out well before Apolyton was created. It was even created before Ultimate Civ II and First Greek sites were created. And since those sites merged and had focused on Civ II, there was no reason to add colonization.

Now if a Colonization II was in the works, I guarantee that ACS would cover it and a page on the classic would be included. But since that probably won't happen, it probably won't be covered.
        About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Colonization is a great game, I still play it on my laptop when traveling. Unfortunately, it's long unsupported, and there's nothing new.

There is free-civ, and some people are talking about a free-MOO project, so about the only hope for it would be a free-Colonization project to include multiplayer and expand some of the game options.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

If you want to discuss Colonization II, you may want to check out this ez-board site (a spin-off from CGN which closed )

-->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

There is a colonization forum at civfanatics forums, between Alpha Centauri & CtP there.

Largest fan site for Sid Meier's Civilization series.
              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Does anyone know why Colonization II is not in the pipeline? I would have thought some company would want to make it, with or *gasp* without Sid.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
                  Because Colonization came out well before Apolyton was created. It was even created before Ultimate Civ II and First Greek sites were created. And since those sites merged and had focused on Civ II, there was no reason to add colonization.

Now if a Colonization II was in the works, I guarantee that ACS would cover it and a page on the classic would be included. But since that probably won't happen, it probably won't be covered.
                  Coloization is an importent link between Civ1 and Civ2.
                  Did you know that the so popular textfile system for rules, strings and so on was used in Colonization?

Comment

it's obvious that a colonization section would be a "presentation": content(game info, strategies, files) without any news

if someone can organize and produce such a content we would gladly consider it. until then we will continue trying to cover the more lively games....
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Big Crunch
                      Does anyone know why Colonization II is not in the pipeline? I would have thought some company would want to make it, with or *gasp* without Sid.
                      Despite good critical reviews and a loyal hardcore fanbase, it didn't do well commercially. Also, anyone doing a sequel would have to obtain rights from whoever is the successor-in-interest to MicroProse for the original game.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I think that would be Infogrames, accidently the publisher of civ3 and moo3.

Good matter for speculation I'd say.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
                          The same thing is true about civilization - the original. yet there is a scetion covering that

Originally posted by Mark G

it's obvious that a colonization section would be a "presentation": content(game info,
                          strategies, files) without any news

if someone can organize and produce such a content we would gladly consider it. until
                          then we will continue trying to cover the more lively games....
                          Also applicable to Civilization. Not to mention Master Of Orion, which we are not only getting a section for, but also a forum?

So AC is civ, CTP is civ, Dinosaurs is civ, MOO is civ, maybe simgolf is civ. but Colonization is not civ?!??

I led a discussion a while back for a colonization section, which was deliberately misinterpreted as a request for a colonization forum.
                          find it at http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=11527

But there is a ray of hope in the Post by Markos. If someone would organize the content for a section they may consider it. I recall that there have been petitions for Apolyton to cover MOO in the past, without any success.

just need enough support, and some people to do the groundwork for putting up the neccessary stuff.

who put out for the upcoming MOO section, anyway?
                          Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                          ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Father Beast. Looks like you've lected yourself. Just put the content together and Markos will post it. I bet if you're nice he'll even let you get by with just researching and writing it in Text and he'll do the fancy schmancy HTML stuff.

So get hot! YOu could use the Civ section as a model...

Basically you just need a history/explanation of the game and some screenshots.

Comment

I have made a brief summary of how Colonization works, and a table of the resources. I could have written more, but I have no more time for this today, maybe later.
                              I'll attach the files.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X