Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we members be allowed to change our usernames on our own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we members be allowed to change our usernames on our own?

In reference to http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=25522, I just recently tried to change my username and found out I had to get help from either a Moderator or an Administrator to do that. But why so? It use to be that Apolyton Members could change their usernames themselves. Well anyway, I decided to do a poll on this to see what members think. So please choose an answer above and let Apolyton Administrators know your opinion!
    Yes
    40.00%
    No
    60.00%
    Either Way Works For Me
    0.00%

It is a vile practice and should be discouraged...

Comment

Since Post counts don't count in the OT, Ming can't PCR, so has nothing else to do, so let him keep changing names!

I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
      i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

well I think I finally settled on a name. So I don't have to worry about it. I went through 2 major name changes with this login. Well 1 wasn't really major, I just dropped the aggressor part of my name.

I have no reason to change again.

Comment

If people could change their names any time they felt like it, things would get very confusing.
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I'm a convert. I used to be in favour of it, but as anyone would realise, chaos ensued last time this was tried. I'm happy the way things are now.

Comment

I didn't even know it was disabled...

i am glad that cookies work

btw how do you count me for style I have light style at home and default style at work?
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

its a vile practice that causes chaos and confusion
                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Confusion

Comment

No! What would happen when everyone started to change username without documentation of former usernames?

It would become very confusing. As it is right now you are able to search the forum to find namechanges, if you can change them yourself there will be no written documentation of namechanges, and people will appear under all names.
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

What is the purpose of having mods change usernames, is it to prevent excessive changes, unsuitable names, what?

I don't get the red tape.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It's the same reason the registered dates still say 1969/1970 for people.

Laziness.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          It's the same reason the registered dates still say 1969/1970 for people.
                          Laziness.
                          Actually, it is for the exact same reason... the current software doesn't allow it. Hacks are needed to make those types of changes.

And as far as your comment about laziness... this comes from a person who does absolutely nothing to help the community and just whines all the time Laziness... your thing... not ours. People work very hard to provide you this site that you post on for free...
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

*yawns*

I would believe that, only DanQ told me just the other day the reason they don't upgrade the forums here is due to the many hacks they've already placed in the forum code.

Replacing the regdate with a b2-14-99 or whatever wouldn't take much beyond a simple if statement.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Make it possible...but add some restrictions...like a maximum of only three name-changes...

Comment

Working...
                              X