This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this ACOL/apolyton feud?

Would someone please explain the whole big fight that's going on all the time? Those of us who joined recently would love to know what's happening now and how all of this got started. Can't we all just be friends and enjoy talking about computer games?

(I've also heard there is some relationship between MarkG and AnnC, but that question would probably get me banned )

Lets not go there shall we.

There has been far too much colateral damage for this to be a good subject to re-open.

Go to Random Chat on ACOL and search for the History of ACOL thread and follow the links. Work out what its all about and then DROP IT.

Please.
    (+1)

Comment

There are people on ACOL who like to wind up people on Apolyton.

There are people on Apolyton who like to wind up people on ACOL.

There is a significant difference of opinion between the admin on both sites on what is the best way to run a forum.

There are gross stereotypes used. It seems that Apolyton is entirely populated with preppy, pompous nazis, while ACOL is entirely populated with a fawning clique headed by an unbalanced site owner. This is all bollocks, naturally.

The common ground of both sites, for some, was the alpha.owo forum. When that sank, some came here while some went there.

The infighting is very boring. Particularly for those who try to stay out of it on both sides. There are more of these people than you might think.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Read my sig and follow the link for a consise example of the differences between ACOL and Poly posting policies.

The history of ACOL thread was written by me too if you decide to look for it.

You won't find any info here because the evil greek deletes any threads about ACOL and Macedonia that don't serve his purpose.
        My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
        from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
        --MarkG

and by MikeH
        she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

Saying that an apolyton admin or moderator has been treated unfairly at ACOL seem to be a sure way of getting a title there. I seriously consider it . Hey, "Troll" beats "Acolite" .
          http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Us, and them...and after all, we're just ordinary men...

Ha, troll! I have The Best title at ACOL, Obnoxious Yankee!

I treid to stay out of it, but since MTG is one of my best friends, wasn't happening.

The real reason this goes on to this day is Ann wants it too. A number of us have tried to make peace, but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

And we have several defectors to ACOL's side, the most prominit is a certain fink who shall remain nameless.

I used to enjoy posting there, but I'm not welcome, so I don't go there anymore.
            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Can't we all just get along?

It was all in fun until the admins came along and started taking things seriously....
              PHOENIXCAGER
              The Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

So basically

they started as a SMAC site and then just started spamming because SMAC bombed. thanks for the directions to ACOL. I've never been there before. and i'm never going back.

Comment

then you have those of us who post both here and at acol. And wish to stay uninvolved in childish games (even though I am childish ). I have no reason to get involved. Why do I post both places? Because I have no life apparantly . I post both forums for different reasons. I also post on britney spears forums at audiogalaxy . OK I'm a real troll there. I also post at diablo2.net... when it actually works.

Comment

The story is a short one.

MtG is a man who enjoys involvement in internet sites. AnnC is a woman who has for some years spent a modest sum entertaining herself by keeping ACOL going.

Acol is a site which is mainly about it's OT (called Random Chat over there). There is a tightly knit group of people who make up an affectionate community which thrives on posting one liners and good humoured, joky stuff of various kinds. AnnC takes a pride in it.

MtG used to be involved with Acol before AnnC owned it.

They fell out. Each values the contribution they made to Acol and doesn't like the other's claim to have played a part.

AnnC departed form her normal light handed approach to moderation and banned MtG from Acol.

Others then took sides. There had been a lot of traffic between the two sites. Ming used to let off steam at Acol after his moderating duties had required him to be particularly po faced at Apolyton. But now some Apolyton posters went to Acol to be rude about AnnC. She responded by making visits here. Briefly MarkG found himself involved. He and Ann got into the habit of monitoring what was said on each site and making irritating posts back and forward.

Sadly the tiff between MtG and AnnC now turned quite bitter. MtG's wife made a long post at Acol making it clear that MtG felt pretty wounded and AnnC started looking for every opportunity to get onto a high horse.

Through most of this the posters at both sites were able to get on with what they usually did in their respective communities and most of the normal friendly traffic between the sites continued.

But the bitterness started to poison things and the friendly traffic has dropped off. One or two of the core Acol posters let slip that they were no longer much enjoying the company of the pollytubbies on their casual visits. Ming has long since stopped hanging out there.

Among those who have got drawn in, MtG has, until a momentary recent lapse, recovered his dignity. Ann and, for some reason, Horse, are the ones who seem currently to be most active in continuing the ill feeling.

Those who took part in stirring up the ill feeling currently seem content with what they have done.

A very odd aspect is that it is exclusively the mature folk (well, in years, that is) among us who have got involved. You might expect the kids to mistake it for their own brand of harmless trolling and to take a hand. But they don't

Until Horse got dragged in, it was also noticeably a US thing.

And that's it really.

Comment

Overal, a pretty good summary of the situation, EST, except one point - a lot of people have alluded to think my wife, LTEC! posted as my proxy.

She posted what she wanted, without input from me at all - before our baby was born (kinda takes up 150% of your free time ) she had been a semi-regular poster going back to before we were married, so she had her own take on the situation.

LTEC! posts here now from time to time, but she always posts whatever she wants.

The whole thing can't have much momentum left, so it's got to die off into well-deserved obscurity soon.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

One other correction, Ming was just lurking for a while. He is now back spamming the **** out of the site with his stupid Cuns threads.

STAY AT POLY YOU CRAZED FORUM NAZI!!!!
                        My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
                        from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
                        --MarkG

and by MikeH

Comment

That should have been "CUBS"

Although we don't like his cun threads either!!!

"ok, fine.
                          --MarkG

and by MikeH

Comment

Kitty.... I'm shocked. Don't you love me anymore

Yeah, I do lurk more than I post. But there are some threads that I just can't pass up
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Sorry, I am busy with Mark now. He has been expressing his fascination with me.

"ok, fine.
                              --MarkG

and by MikeH

Comment

Working...
                              X