No announcement yet.

2nd BANNER - POPUP TRADE-OFF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys just haven't been husbands for long enough. Like the women are always complaining. Not only do we tune them out along with crying babies and screaming kids, but we can ingore anything unless we want to pay attention.

I just close the pop-ups and ignore the ads. I don't even really see them on the pages any more even the flashing banners that some sites end up with. When I do notice them they aren't selling anything I care about anyway.

Ken

Comment

Ummm. Mark. Sorry to be a bother but have there been any script changes or somesuch in the past couple of days?
      I ask as my browser now seems to be spawning multiple popups - a new one for every time I change forums. I didn't close the original and now I have three.
      Heeeellllllpppppp I'm drowning in popups Well, not really. I was just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
        Ummm. Mark. Sorry to be a bother but have there been any script changes or somesuch in the past couple of days?
        I ask as my browser now seems to be spawning multiple popups - a new one for every time I change forums. I didn't close the original and now I have three.
        Heeeellllllpppppp I'm drowning in popups Well, not really. I was just curious.
        I'm afraid that the advertising network we're in have changed their code(the script loads from their server so the change was automatic)

Every time you re-visit the main forums page you will get a new pop-up even if you havent closed the first

Of course the code is always only on the main forums page and not in any other forums page.

I dont know if this is a permanent change
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Markos, et al.:

As one of the folks who has chosen the pop-up ad option on the main screen, I've noticed that the ad went from a small, behind-the-main-window thing to a gargantuan 2/3rds of the screen in-front-of-the-main-window thing over the last 1 1/2 weeks or so.

Is this another change instituted by the advertiser?

CYBERAmazon
          "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by CYBERAmazon
            Is this another change instituted by the advertiser?
            yes. we have no control over the size of the ads.

Comment

Does JavaScript have to be on in order to get pop-ups?
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

well, the only adds I ever see are at the top-right corner, and they are not very large or obtrusive.

I never get a pop-up, and I have my 'style' set to default.

Comment

Originally posted by Anunikoba
                  I never get a pop-up, and I have my 'style' set to default.
                  that's the idea

change your style to one of the "Special" ones and visit the front forum page

Comment

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

This is doubly true of banners and pop-ups.

I will keep it as is..

Comment

It's alright, I've gone to default special and it's working fine now.

David
                      Last edited by Crouchback; October 8, 2001, 17:14.
                      "War: A by-product of the arts of peace." Bierce

Comment

I've got a question concerning banner adds. If some one clicks on a banner add and then immediately closes it, does the site get any money. Seems worthless to the advertiser.

What if they click on the add then leave the page in the background never touching it again until they close it.

I know some adds i.e. Compuexpert adds don't pay the referring site unless the person buys something. I think Chips&Bits work the same way.

This have probably been answered but I'm curious. Oh and could you get a more applicable pop-up the current one is boring. How about some neat flash adds that play a movie.
                        Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Moral Hazard
                          I've got a question concerning banner adds. If some one clicks on a banner add and then immediately closes it, does the site get any money. Seems worthless to the advertiser.
                          actually, when it comes to the pop-ups we are paid according to the number of people who see it, not click on it....

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                            actually, when it comes to the pop-ups we are paid according to the number of people who see it, not click on it....
                            So pop-ups are really good for the site? I will continue to use the popup choice then for the good of all.
                            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
                              So pop-ups are really good for the site? I will continue to use the popup choice then for the good of all.
                              yes, it's really good for the site. although only 2% of the registered forum users and the guests get them which means that currently they dont make a big difference. if everyone got them we would have more or less solved our problems but what the hell....
                              Last edited by MarkG; October 11, 2001, 02:50.

Comment

Has there been complaints on that liitle
                                T-shirt pop-up?
                                "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Working...
                                X