How to speed up Apolyton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to speed up Apolyton

Ok, it is Saturday night in UK, and traditionally the slowest part of the week for me. Usually I cannot even get trough to the forums page

But today (finally), I disabled all multimedia contant in Internet Explorer.

(Go to tools/internet options/ advanced/ and scroll down to multimedia and make sure that no boxes are ticked)

And not that I can only view the threads, but I can post as well

Even though I took 2min to swich from Civ III forum to this one, but with all the pictures enabled I could not even enter the forums.

I guess many of you know this, but still, since it seems I am not the only one who has problems coming here at busy times,and has developed Apolyton Addiction Syndrome I thought I'll tell you.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

I was about to start a thread asking if apolyton was ridiculously slow today for others. I don't think its merely general business on the network, maybe a major router is down or something. I seem to have no trouble with most other sites today. Sheesh, what a time to be excited about the civ series.

Comment

Actually GP, it is not a waste of time -- it hardly ever is when there are numerous people accessing the site from numerous locations where their is a prolonged downtime period.

I performed a traceroute this evening myself and I determined... for the moment anyway... that there was/is somewhat of a slowdown on a backbone connection, yes, but that the considerable slowdown was actually on the server we're hosted on. GameStats' Tech Director has been informed (I phoned him) and he is going to go in and try to restore the service to a faster state as soon as possible. There are a couple of longer term solutions they're working on instituting and it's just a matter of getting the necessary permission, scheduling people/time to do it etc. In fact, I believe one has already been started to be implemented.

----------------
      Dan; Apolyton CS
      PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
      >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Dan,

1. The server time gremlin messed with your post. How's that for irony...

2. The results of your tracert confirmed what we already know from seveal pieces of evidence (includng earlier tracerts). (i.e. the tracert was useless.)

3. Does Gamestats ask you to push this tracrt thing or is that your own habit? Either way it flies in the face of common sense.

Comment

Hi guys.

Yes, it has been even slower than usual today. Try performing a traceroute to determine as best is possible where the slowdown/problem is (the easiest way to do this is to go into MS-DOS prompt and type "tracert apolyton.net"). Please email the results not only to myself but also GameStats' Director of Technology, Tony Bolger, at tonyb@worldchat.com

----------------
          Dan; Apolyton CS
          PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
          >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Oh gosh, Dan...give it a rest with the tracert...

It's a waste of time. we know the issue is not in the network. (Think common sense troubleshooting...)

Comment

In all fairness to dan, sometimes I have found problems using it. But when every and i mean every other site that I go to loads in half a second and this one takes 30-60 seconds, the problem is painfully obvious.

RAH
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
              X