Why no History Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why no History Forum?

Why dosn't Apolyton add a history forum? Given the nature of the Civ games and the interests of the players of said games, it seems to me that a history forum would be very popular.

While history does get discussed on the OT board, due to the number of new threads started each day these discussions rarely last long before they are pushed off the front page, causing people to stop posting on them.
    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Great Idea !
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Maybe it could be a subsection of the OT and leave OT moderators to look after it?? But you couldn't give post count's back, it would be just too much work for Ming and MtG.
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Re: Why no History Forum?

Originally posted by Case
        While history does get discussed on the OT board, due to the number of new threads started each day these discussions rarely last long before they are pushed off the front page, causing people to stop posting on them.
        Yes... History threads have always been lively in the OTF.... Just like many other topics
        However, there is really no need to set up a seperate forum just for them. There aren't enough of them to justify it.

Yeah, things in the OTF can fall to the second page quickly... but good threads have no problem staying on the first page.
        So if you like a thread, keep it active
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I like it, but it seems that the powers that be have already spoken.
          I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
          i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

I think if a certain kind of thread sticks on the first page all the time, then THAT is a reason to make a separate forum for it.

There's no point creating another forum for something there isn't enough demand for anyway.

So I agree with Ming.

And history is boring anyway.
            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

discussions rarely last long before they are pushed off the front page, causing people to stop posting on them.

Four letters:

B

U

M

P

They work very effectively as a stay of executiion for failing threads.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Infatuation
                So I agree with Ming.
                OH MY GOD Infatuation and I agree on something... It must be getting really cold in hell right about now
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Infatuation
                  And history is boring anyway.
                  Philistine. Of course if you don't follow history you won't know who they were.
                  (+1)

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                    OH MY GOD Infatuation and I agree on something... It must be getting really cold in hell right about now
                    Does that mean that our chances for such a forum are better now?
                    Blah

Comment

Re: Re: Why no History Forum?

Originally posted by Ming
                      Yeah, things in the OTF can fall to the second page quickly... but good threads have no problem staying on the first page.
                      So if you like a thread, keep it active
                      Given the amount of stuff that gets posted on the OT this is easier said then done.

As for there not being enough demand, I notice that there are quite a few of 'dead' forums still being maintained on Apolyton. I suspect that a history forum would get a hell of lot more traffic then say the HAC, Art of War, and Civ 2 creation forums...

Could you at least give the idea a trial?
                      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'

Comment

Why the hell not?

Originally posted by Case
                        As for there not being enough demand, I notice that there are quite a few of 'dead' forums still being maintained on Apolyton. I suspect that a history forum would get a hell of lot more traffic then say the HAC, Art of War, and Civ 2 creation forums...

Could you at least give the idea a trial?
                        This is an excellent point.

That, plus the fact that Dookie is against it proves the idea has merit, and may cause Ming to reconsider.

Any chance of this idea ever seeing the light of day?
                        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                        i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

If, for some reason, a number of active historical threads appear in the OTF, you may have a case for requesting a separate channel. That's how a number of forums got started.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Just post in the OT about it!
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                              Just post in the OT about it!
                              Good idea! I posted a poll here

Comment

Working...
                              X