GMT . . . . a song by Chicago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMT . . . . a song by Chicago

At the bottom of most Apolyton screens, I see a line like this: "All times are GMT -5 hours. The time now is 13:19". However a time service such as could be found at Greenwich2000 would say that it is 17:19 GMT. There is a certain clash here - it is indeed 13:19 (or 1:19PM for those less militarily inclined), but it is not GMT - 5 hours, which would be 12:19, but GMT - 4 hours . I am in Washington, DC, in the time zone currently referred to as EDT (for Eastern Daylight (Savings) Time) which is one hour removed from our unadjusted EST (Eastern Standard Time) variation which is indeed GMT - 5 hours. Interestingly, the good people in Greenwich, England are not currently themselves at GMT itself, but at GMT + 1 or BST (British Summer Time), which to complete the circle, is in fact 5 hours ahead of Washington's EDT. So, whereas the good people in Greenwich and the good people in Washington are in fact about 5 hours apart by the sun and 5 hours apart by the clock (except maybe for some hours and/or days around the changeovers), the good people at Apolyton have left the good people in Washington (and probably the good people in a lot of other places) in the dark about what time it really is. Does anyone really know ......

Well as daylight saving time kicks in at the same time in both countries (US and UK), the UK and EST are always separated by 5 hours...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

can you put whatever time setting in your forum options so that forum time matches your time zone(even if it shouldnt)?

YES.....
      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

BTW its officially no longer GMT but Universal Time (UT) or something similar. Given that the whole world thinks in terms of GMT why on earth did anyone come up with the idea of changing the title. :???:

If anyone is at all interested, I'm more thank happy to try and research some links if requested.
        (+1)

Comment

For some reason british standard time (GMT in the winter, GMT+1 in the summer) is called "GMT" on this server. Oh well.
          Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
          Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

*very very confused*
            I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Working...
            X