Attention-grabbing thread titles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention-grabbing thread titles

You know the kind : "Firaxis READ THIS" , "FIRAXIS READ!!!", "Firaxis I am ANGRY" and so on without any indication of what the topic is.

Am I the only who finds these thread titles intensely annoying and rude? All of us would love to have Firaxis read about and respond to our pet peeves. But those of us who write descriptive thread titles figure that we should let Firaxians choose whether they want to read our threads. We let the thread title do what it's meant to do ie. explain what the thread is about without crying out for attention.

Those who write thread-titles like the ones above seem to be trying to trick Firaxis into paying them more attention , though I've not seen any evidence it works anyway. In fact if I were a Firaxian I would purposely avoid threads with uninformative titles like that.

What do you think?

I don't know if Firaxis avoids them but I tend to.
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

I think this thread should be posted in the Community.
      And I think that sort of threads is bad, Why not Censure FIRAXIS from titles

looking for mod to move the thread
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Oh.

IMO titles such as "Free Sex" or "Dates with Gorgeous Babes" grab <em>my</em> attention more effectively.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

UR, Which forum section are they under then?
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

How about

"FIRAXIS, I have HOT BABES for you if I get to build cities on mountains"
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Attention grabbing thread titles are the spawn of the devil!

Long time member @ Apolyton
              Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                Oh.

IMO titles such as "Free Sex" or "Dates with Gorgeous Babes" grab <em>my</em> attention more effectively.
                So it's people like you who propagate virii and read spam mail.

(just kidding)
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Firaxis I am ANGRY is my thread except the exact title was

Firaxis i'm M.A.D.

and it just so happened to be a thread about Mutually Assured Destruction (M.A.D.) and nuclear weapons/SDI in general, a subject that many want to know about

so i guess what you consider intensely annoying and rude i consider clever

Comment

OK Korn,
                    Your title was quite clever and therefore not quite in the category I was going on about. But you must have seen the kind of titles I am referring to and you have to admit they are usually annoying as hell.

Comment

Kautilya

yea i know what you are talking about...we all want to know more about civ3, some people just go about it the wrong way i guess

what i found truly annoying were all the polls...for some reason there hasn't been a poll in the civ3 general in a while...did mark or dan do something?

the other annoying threads are the is america a civilization? debate threads...every one from the states is like HELL NO! and then everyone from america is like "USA! USA! USA!"

but hey i like to post (way too much) about nukes and government...so to each their own i guess

Comment

Perhaps they banned Alex14 from creating polls?
                        It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Working...
                        X