Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: Setting priorities

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
    When I took the moderator job, I'd been an active poster here for over 18 months. I'd also been a more than occasional flamer here.
    To get this straight: You were granted the position of a moderator (note the "moderate" root of that word) even on the grounds that you were someone who frequently flames (by your own admission)? What does this say about the judgement of the site admins?

If Glonk thinks he's been flamed by me since I took the mod job, he's wrong. He hasn't seen anything like I used to dish out, and there are a lot of people here who can attest to what I used to dish out. I was being gentle with Glonk.
    In other words, you could have been far more offensive but instead toned down your flaming to something slightly less offensive. Sorry, that doesn't work. Moderators should not flame or offend people at all, it's part of the job. If you want to flame people, resign as a moderator and do so: You <b>cannot</b> do both at once.

Nothing in my becoming a moderator said I had to stop being a regular poster...
    As soon as you get the power to ban posters, lock threads, and basically become "immortal", you are not a regular poster. That's painfully obvious to most people out there. If anyone here recalls back to SidGames, they'll notice that I stayed out of any type of heated discussions entirely in the OT forum so I could moderate fairly (and yes, I tried to control Kunal, don't confuse me with him).

and if they dish crap to me, they'll get some back, just not the napalm I used to serve back.

So now you're backtracking. You originally claimed you didn't mean anything insulting by that, and now you're saying you did intend to be insulting but only because "he started it".

I think you should rethink your position was a moderator: Do you want to moderate the forum, or do you want to flame and be a "regular poster"? Pick one, you can't have both.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Setting priorities

Originally posted by Glonk
      What does this say about the judgement of the site admins?
      Since most people think he's doing a good job, I would say that the judgement of the site admin was darn good.

I led a revolt once in the Civ MP forums... and they made me a mod And while I've made some mistakes, I think I have done a good job...

You are welcome to your opinion... and I'm sure there are others who don't like the moderation here. It's too bad, but it isn't going to change anything. So the sooner you learn to deal with it, the better off you will be.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

So why am I not a mod?

MtG isn't exaclty the pinnacle of maturity, nor exactly fair (although he claims he is), and he admits to being someone who flames.

So if he can be mod, why can't I? Or anyone else, for that matter?

What are the selection criteria, and why are they so specific the majority of us can't attain the status of a mod on 'Poly when someone like <b>him</b> can?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Glonk you're too young

Comment

So the only criterion is you must be old?

Comment

Glonk,

Don't blow things out of proportion. Overall...Mike has been a great moderator. (The only exception would be a recent submariner getting banned! )

Seriously, don't be such a bulldog about one thread. Hang out...make contributions, etc. and maybe one day you will be a mod. But the key thing at this site is getting respect from the posters. Not being buds with Mark or what-have-you. Definitely...NOT complaining. (This is just normal social dynamics.)

I actually went and read that thread on MS. Pretty interesting. Why don't you stick to arguing from the fact base (you have a pretty good one...given that you've been a beta tester, etc.) Let the mod complaints go. I'll be nice too...
              Last edited by TCO; August 12, 2001, 19:37.

Comment

MtG has done fine, but they need a European OT moderator as well to keep his/her eye on Apolyton during the European daytime when it is quiet
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Hey...you're in Europe!! Would you consider it??

Comment

What about EST? Or SG1? They both seem to generate respect. Maybe even UR?

Comment

• Doubt it. My availability online at the moment during the daytime is much diminished now I have work to do
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Re: Setting priorities

Originally posted by Glonk

What does this say about the judgement of the site admins?
                        Who cares? They can do whatever they want, last time I checked, so chatting about their judgement is irrelevant.

So if he can be mod, why can't I? Or anyone else, for that matter?
                        You can't be a mod, because they don't want you for the mod position. They did want MtG, and he accepted the job, so now he's a mod. Sounds simple enough

Comment

• The number one thing that would rule me out for being a mod is my association with SidGames.

I will be forever damned because of that. And so be it.

Comment

• Well...now I understand!!

Comment

• What ever happened to SG anyway? And can you give me any dirt on the radio dispute? DanQ got all quiet when I asked him about wether the apolyton radio show conflicted with SidGames. (Refused to answer...)

Comment

• What radio dispute...?

SG had it first, if that's what you're asking. I think it was JHill's idea...I can't really recall (I do remember thinking that the radio idea was rather silly and I didn't really follow up with it).

Comment

Working...
                                X