Why are there off-topic moderators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperSneak
    Yeah, from now on it will just be a steady stream of explicit male jpg's.
    Brace yourself...
    Well, I ain't complaining

I'm sure Bob will enjoy it, too.....

Comment

You high tech fools are bizarre.

In real life if ya acted like this you'd be dead.

Be glad you can act this out here

Comment

Henceforth, Bob, you should leave threadjacking to commie scum.

angry red commie scum==>
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

would I, as a European, be commie scum?

Comment

would I, as a European, be commie scum?

Comment

Yes. I shall demonstrate using the "Bob Train of Thought"©.

European = Leftist = Commie scum
              "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Andz, you are a commie. Scum? You can decide that on your own. But just because you're a commie doesn't mean I'm against you

Paul Hanson, no kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by Glonk
                  He was not giving me a good beating, he had no clue what he was talking about. He didn't even <b>read</b> the article that was the whole center for the thread. Someone else (Lightening I believe) came in and also corrected him, stating that it was apparent MtG didn't even read the article)
                  You don't give up, do you, Glonk? Do you have ANYTHING more to do than make mountains out of molehills? Yes, I read your little article, and found it's example of changing the same video card five times, or adding a second hard drive to be elementary drivel addressed to little geeks wanting to play the latest game, so I didn't find it responsive in any significant way to how the WPA system tallies points under more complex system hupgrades.

And yes, you have whined this so-called threadjacking out of all proportion. That is the reason for my "doing nothing about it." Next time you have a complaint, if it's worth acting on, I'll act on it. If it isn't, I won't. This one wasn't. Get over it.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Glonk
                    What's important is MtG isn't doing his job, for one reason or another.
                    This may be a difficult concept, so I'll break it down in parts.

(a) It's not up to you to define my job.
                    (b) My job is not to cater to your beck and call.
                    (c) You have a right to your opinion, and I have the right to give it the consideration it is due.
                    (d) I will continue to moderate based on my judgment, and any input I receive from the site owners, end of issue. <--- (that is a period)
                    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Re: Re: Setting priorities

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola

Not quite, MtG, (whom I like and admire) was laying into to Glonk in a personal and insulting manner, which even a cruel, satiric, and egotistical fiend such as myself would judge inappropriate to his position a a moderator (where more decorum ought to apply, EVEN {to some extent} when posting outside of official business), and in his official responses, giving a significant impression of personal bias. Still it should not generate more than few hours irritation.
                      At the risk of stating the obvious , no, I don't have any great for Glonk. In fact... well, I won't go there. Seriously, liking or disliking someone poster to poster has nothing to do with how they're moderated. How they act when a moderation issue comes up is another story, but they are two totally unrelated issues.

When I took the moderator job, I'd been an active poster here for over 18 months. I'd also been a more than occasional flamer here. If Glonk thinks he's been flamed by me since I took the mod job, he's wrong. He hasn't seen anything like I used to dish out, and there are a lot of people here who can attest to what I used to dish out. I was being gentle with Glonk.

Nothing in my becoming a moderator said I had to stop being a regular poster, and if they dish crap to me, they'll get some back, just not the napalm I used to serve back.

When I deal with people as a mod, I don't care who they are, beyond the question of whether they're a repeat offender, or a rare or first time offender. That's the only extent where the name matters.

I just banned GP, one of my best friends here, the same as the other one-thread starters in "Bananagate", and I banned Iain Lindley the same as everyone else, even though he's not a spammer or troublemaker and he's another poster I respect highly. I banned Snapcase, who's a fellow staff member, for the same length of time (for the same offense) as CaesartheGreat, who made a crude, juvenile remark about my wife's avatar, prompting her to change it.

Bob Dornan is no buddy of mine, and I've told other people the same thing: If you complain to a mod about someone flaming, threadjacking, or whatever, you better be clean yourself. You don't complain to a mod, and then go at it with the party you're complaining about, and expect me to do squat about it. Unless both posters get out of hand, in which case both get dealt with.

If Glonk made two minor threadjack posts in someone else's thread, and the thread starter complained in the same fashion, then proceeded to argue with Glonk etc., I wouldn't ban him as the threadjacker. If he and the other poster (as threadstarter) got out of hand with each other, I'd deal with both of them. It's that simple.

It's real simple - if you want to handle someone yourself, don't expect a mod to step in on top of that. And if you want a mod to handle it, keep your own act straight, and don't make petulant demands. That's the way it works in real life, and it ain't no different here AFAIK.

Comment

I think that Lefty would agree that you don't let personal feelings impact the mod decisions...

I think he was just saying that ...maybe the "locked away" 'thrower was peaking out a tad...

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Setting priorities

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

I banned Iain Lindley the same as everyone else, even though he's not a spammer or troublemaker
                          You know the juxtaposition here kinda implies that I'm...
                          Last edited by TCO; August 12, 2001, 05:29.

Comment

MtG has spoken, bow down to him folks!

We hear you, Mike. We adore and we obey you, Miguel, no matter how many spammers try to bash you here, in the Temple of Modship

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dornan
                              You high tech fools are bizarre.

In real life if ya acted like this you'd be dead.

Be glad you can act this out here
                              Maybe where you live...

I presume you are reffering to the gay comments

In England, it's generally more accepted (especially in Brighton - the pride parade was yesterday and there were rainbow flags everywhere ... Bob would LOVE it ).

Honestly, Bob - there's no need to hide it

Comment

redjon, following me on every thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X