Why are there off-topic moderators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are there off-topic moderators?

Why do we even have them, other than to purge spam-attacks or whatnot?

One of my threads is being hijacked, so I asked MtG to fix it, and he refused to, saying:
    If he was disrupting a thread in an on-topic forum, it's a different story entirely.
    So, this means it's open season on threadjacking.

And if we aren't doing anything about threadjacking, why the hell did the poll-purge happen? Many of those polls were fun, and they weren't disrupting an on-topic forum.

I dunno, maybe I'm just the victim of a double standard and a biased moderator.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Be more assertive and take back the thread which is rightfully yours.

Don't go running to the moderators complaining. Pansie.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

You won't find any this time of day. The problem with having a Americocentric bulletin board, they pick people who in very similar time zones. At some points, the moderators are tripping over one another and at other points, there is no one (like UK daytime), except for the odd appearance of Markos.

So don't take it seriously. Get back on your moral high horse and make a full blown cavalry charge
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Why are there of-topic moderators?

It's difficult when there is one moderator on the OT forum, let alone four (AFAIK DanQ doesn't moderate OT). It's easy to fairly apply rules, both written and unwritten, when the forum is on-topic; if the thread or reply is off-topic, then there are consequences (warning, thread closing, whatever), otherwise it's no problem. The posters are also more consistent; they typically don't start a flame war when they're in a bad mood, or spam the forum silly when they're in an irreverent mood, etc. That's what the off-topic forum is for.

So an OT moderator has to deal with inconsistent posters; mix that in with the inconsistency of the moderator (maybe the moderator is in a bad mood, or just doesn't care anymore, or is sick of people whining, whatever) and you've got written and unwritten rules that seem to be inconsistently applied. Add three more moderators and you multiply the problem.

IMO this would all be solved if the moderators restricted themselves to curbing flame wars/hate threads and ignored the spam; spam is no longer a "post-count jack," and is once again nothing more than a "I'm going to blow off some steam/have some fun/annoy the guy/girl who is taking things too seriously/etc."

But, until the decision is made to ignore spam, I just ignore any instances in which I think that a mod/admin is being inconsistent (although I'll probably sing another tune when I'm permabanned for starting a "favorite pair of socks" poll ). Inconsistencies are unavoidable, and they're just not worth getting upset over.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Re: Why are there off-topic moderators?

Originally posted by Glonk
          Why do we even have them, other than to purge spam-attacks or whatnot?
          Spam is only one of the problems... The full rules of posting still apply as the always have. Just because posts in the OTF no longer count, that doesn't mean the rules have changed.

One of my threads is being hijacked, so I asked MtG to fix it, and he refused to...
          So, this means it's open season on threadjacking.
          No... threadjacking has always happened more often in the OTF vs the ON TOPIC. His comment was meant to imply that it will not be tolerated in the On Topic forums. In the On Topic, threads directions change quickly, and while threadjacking is still not good, we are far more flexible due to the nature of the beast.
          We use our judgement... and yes, you will see things handled in a less consistant manner... because it is pure opinion.

And if we aren't doing anything about threadjacking, why the hell did the poll-purge happen? Many of those polls were fun, and they weren't disrupting an on-topic forum.
          But they WERE disrupting the forum. Just like "multiple copycat" threads, they are considered "CLUTTER", so they were dealt with like any other version of thread spam.

I dunno, maybe I'm just the victim of a double standard and a biased moderator.
          You are always welcome to your opinion... but your comment is the standard whine when a moderator takes action against somebody... It's never YOUR fault... it's always the fault of the moderator I wasn't involved, so I have no opinion on the matter
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Glonk, if you can't tell the difference between ten threads on the first page, and Bob Dornan's single post plus his replies after you told him to get out of "your" thread, then started arguing with him, then you have a slight problem of perspective.

You gave ten times more verbage to whining about "threadjacking" than the supposed threadjacking itself, and as already pointed out in that thread, he left the thread, and you're the only one who's still going on about it.

One of my threads is being hijacked, so I asked MtG to fix it
            FYI - one post by one poster, does not a "threadjacking" make. The rest of BD's posts were responses to your comments directed to him. If you'd ignored him, and he kept posting anyway, that'd be different, but if you argue back and forth with him, you're just as guilty of the threadjacking as he is.

So why don't you and Bob Dornan take your **** somewhere else and let the big boys handle this. Please?
            Hopefully MtG does his job and tells you to get out, too.
            You have a funny way of "asking."

Next time, here's a couple of hints that might get you taken a little more seriously:

Don't argue with the claimed threadjacker and do more threadjacking than he does;

and if you're going to "ask" someone to do something about it, ask, don't make demands then whine about how all the mods and admins hate you and are biased against you. Pitching a fit isn't likely to get you the response you want, especially when you're just as guilty.
            When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

where are the off-topic moderators?

Ming is in Chicago.
              MLeonard is somewhere at the east coast.
              MichaeltheGreat is in Tijuana, Mexico.

any more pie?

Comment

Etch, the question was why, not where, but thanx for the info..
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                  Glonk, if you can't tell the difference between ten threads on the first page, and Bob Dornan's single post plus his replies after you told him to get out of "your" thread, then started arguing with him, then you have a slight problem of perspective.
                  Why not? spam is spam, they were both cases of needless spam. In this case, you didn't do anything about it because of one of the following reasons:
                  A) You don't like me
                  B) You enjoy setting double standards (You don't like me)
                  C) You have no concept of fairness or even understand the term threadjacking

You gave ten times more verbage to whining about "threadjacking" than the supposed threadjacking itself, and as already pointed out in that thread, he left the thread, and you're the only one who's still going on about it.
                  At the time when I asked him to leave (1 post) he said no, and then I asked you to ask him to leave (2 posts). Let's see...2 X 10 = 20. So I made 20 posts when he made 2? Huh? The posts that occured afterwards were simply me being pissed at you for being inept.

If you'd ignored him, and he kept posting anyway, that'd be different, but if you argue back and forth with him, you're just as guilty of the threadjacking as he is.
                  So I can go into someone's thread, then make 2 posts completely unrelated to the thread topic and get away scotch free? I'm taking notes here, MtG.

Thanks for all the tips, but it'd be kinda useless for me to follow them anyway.

MarkG has made it clear with his PMs that he doesn't know what the role of a moderator is (he all but admitted that it's okay for moderators to flame people if "they asked for it first"), Ming ignores PMs altogether, and you refuse to take action when the thread starter asked you to. All I wanted was for you to tell him to keep posts on topic, that was all. Instead of doing some simple moderation duties, you refuse to and created one big spammy thread.

Are you happy with your work?
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Ming ignores PMs
                    Bullsh*t! The ONLY PM I have not responded to was one by Dashi... and that's only because I didn't release it was a new one.
                    I dare you to prove that I don't answer PM's...
                    Whether I get good comments, complaints, or just plain insults, I ALWAYS RESPOND!
                    so get your facts straight... If you want to argure with facts, feel free... but don't use lies...
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

Ming, I PMed you after I was unbanned after you banned Giancarlo and I to "cool off" for two days.

You *NEVER* responded. And that's always pissed me off.

Comment

Ming, I PMed you after I was unbanned after you banned Giancarlo and I to "cool off" for two days.

You *NEVER* responded. And that's always pissed me off.
                        I did respond.... you should really control your emotions more
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

Ming, you replied once saying that it was to let me cool down.

Then I asked you why we needed to cool down if the last post in the thread was roughly 5 hours before you banned us. You never replied.

Comment

Glonk, were you born this much of a baby...or did you have to study. You are the whiniest, little girl, I've ever seen on these boards.

"Waaaah!!! The mods are mean to me!!! Waaaah!!"

Grow some juevos!!

Comment

It happens after being ****ted on after a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X