X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkCloud
    Dinosaurs was a civ-style game.
    Says who?

As I read the diaries they were still deciding how they were going to make the game. They had not even decided between TB and RT. But in the end how would have you made a TBS-civesque game with dinos?

What are you going to have dino villages? Dino hatcheries? Are you going to research flying dinos? Or sharper teeth?

The only type of game that would have worked in my mind is either some type of RTS game where your dinos were a lot like the Zergs in StarCraft (which is why many in the Dino threads were calling it DinoCraft) or a simulation game like SimAnts. Sid probably would have done the second judging by his history and the game he ended up doing.

SidGolf is nothing at all like civ
    True, but that does not change the fact that not only was Sim Golf coverage considered, Markos went as far as to say the only reason a page wasn't launched was their was a debate over what colors to use on the site. That was before a general uprising happened and the idea to cover it was canned except in the Miscellaneous Section.

this is the Apolyton Civilization Site and is dedicated to talking about empire building games, IE Earth:2025, Europa Universalis, etc.
    Agreed and I do believe there should be a nitch for this and that Apolyton does a great job filling this spot. But where do you stop with civ games? Does Empire Earth count? Should we cover MoO3? Should we cover all Sid games?

P.S. You were the one to first suggest in this thread hosting SimGolf
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by ACOLKitty
      Public Works was fixed in CtP2 to where I think it was really well done. The settler/terreformed concept is idiotic. Unfortunatly CtP had no AI and even the Mod packs have yet to make the game capable of beating ANYONE.
      Have you even tried the latest CtP2 mods?
      PHOENIXCAGER
      The Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

If yin is right ....civ3 is doomed

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
          And If not, let the whining begin
          Now there's something I never thought I'd see. Even with the attached.

One thing to remember about civ3 is that its really a package deal. A lot of features have to mesh together well for it to become a "great" game, and conversely a lot of features added in, even as optional, could upset the whole shopping cart so to speak.
          I think we really just have to wait and see...
          Fear the worst but hope for the best

Comment

well it all depends on what you mean by "if it doesn't sell"

first i know i will buy a copy so it will at least sell one copy...but that isn't what you really mean

to my knowledge SMAC sold about 250k copies, CtP sold about 250k copies, CtP2 sold about 50k copies, and Civ2 sold more than a million i think...if somebody could present the exact figures then maybe that could clear things up some

so i think it'd be safe to say that civ3 will sell between 200k-600k copies more than enough for an expansion and probably more than enough for a sequal...it is also possible that civ3 could flop and only sell about 100k copies, or that it could be a hit and sell over a million...

either way apolyton has 11,000 logins and many of those haven't ever been used, many are currently inactive, and at least some are double logins...so even if civ3 flops and only sells 100k copies then apolyton could still have the possibility of growing by about nines times...so i think apolyton is safe

Comment

Originally posted by phoenixcager

Have you even tried the latest CtP2 mods?
              Not in the last 3 months. Try the Mod challenge.

Start a game with the hardest settings. Build one city and set it to produce a defensive unit. Cycle turns forever, never upgrade, never move, just cycle turns. If the AI sends diplomatic wishes declarewar. You will never be eliminated.

The only way to lose is to be wiped out by barbarians in the very beginning.
              My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
              from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
              --MarkG

and by MikeH
              she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

I for one am a hardcore fan of call to power. I thought the original was ok, and modified it was great. I thought Ctp2 was also good except for the weak AI, but medmod and cradle fixed that. CTP AND CTP 2 are much more customizable than any other civ game and will more than likely be more customizable than civ III. I agree that settlers is a horrible way of improving great for cheating. With settlers you can build 10-20 farms in a couple of turns but with PW you can't. Of course I never played CIV I or CIV II I guess I'm got into the genre late. My first civ game was SMAC. Well I'm not going to buy CIV III right away, because it doesn't have future gameplay. <B> I'm going to buy Empire Earth(EE) and play it until I get bored, then I will probably buy civ III. </B> I would like to see EE covered by Apolyton. I think Civ III will sell but not much.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem

As I read the diaries they were still deciding how they were going to make the game. They had not even decided between TB and RT. But in the end how would have you made a TBS-civesque game with dinos?
                  Didn't know that, only read some diaries

Agreed and I do believe there should be a nitch for this and that Apolyton does a great job filling this spot. But where do you stop with civ games? Does Empire Earth count? Should we cover MoO3? Should we cover all Sid games?

P.S. You were the one to first suggest in this thread hosting SimGolf
                  PSreply: I know that was for the survival of the site I voted against it in the original poll

I think we should cover MoO3 and maybe Empire Earth, though it is a RTS, so coverage would be questionable...
                  -->Visit CGN!
                  -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

delete
                    Last edited by Cube; August 18, 2001, 16:54.

Comment

Working...
                    X