If Civ III doesnt sell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Civ III doesnt sell

As much as I hate saying this on Apoly's IIIrd Birthday; If Civ III doesn't sell, then we should probably cover Sim Golf... I for one won't play it, but, just having the game supported on the site, Apolyton will have a huge growth rate because the game is almost certainly going to sell well...

Any other thoughts?

-PS if Civ III is good then let's NOT host Sid Golf
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

I'm against the idea. Keep Apolyton to Civ(like) games, I say. (After all, Apolyton would also experience growth if there were a Quake forum... )
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I am sure civ3 will sell, but even if it doesn't, there are still going to be a hardcore of fans who will be interested in a website for the game. And after all, this is a civ site, and that is the way it should stay, although on the other hand, there is nothing wrong with interest in some of Sid's other projects as a sideline.

In the end, I am totally indifferent,
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

well, anyone here not going to buy it? I definitely am, even though there already are many things about it I don't like...

Comment

Well the thing is though Andy, there are many things we do not know about the game yet. Nor is it even in the beta stage yet, it is very much still under development. Only time will tell, but I expect even the most ardent critics such as Yin will end up buying it. Know thine enemy, so to speak.
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

bah... even if it's sh!t, it's a civ game... and it's done by Sid... look , CTP was advertised better than it actually turned out to be (sucked and still does).

anyway, it would be way better with SE, PW, and UW. (social engineering, public works, unit workshop), but noone will listen to this. apart from that, from what we've seen so far, it's almost impossible to make it a bad game in the end, since most of the screenshots or described game features are quite satisfying. and they're not working at their first game either, they know how to do it. Cecilia Barajas (CTP) thought Civ2 was only an update, she wanted to create a completely new CIV game - and failed (IMO, there are realy people who play CTP). well, telling from graphics and many features, CIV3 seems t obe a major update on CIV2, something like CIV 2.75. they keep what made civ2 successful, dump what made SMAC successful... well I'm not completly illusionized (does this word exist in english), but I'm pretty sure it will be cool... anyway, what's the point in asking "what if civ3 doesn't sell?"

Comment

anyway, it would be way better with SE, PW, and UW. (social engineering, public works, unit workshop),

if they were implemented better than they were in their respective games. public works from CTP just plain was terrible, and i don't think it COULD be implemented well at all, it's just a bad idea. . the other two ideas have merit, but SMAC was a decent game at best, and anyway, i don't think they'd even fit as well into civ as they did in smac. there has been endless debate on this, of course, but this is my opinion. .
              -connorkimbro
              "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Public Works was fixed in CtP2 to where I think it was really well done. The settler/terreformed concept is idiotic. Unfortunatly CtP had no AI and even the Mod packs have yet to make the game capable of beating ANYONE.

Civ3 will sell. There is a sucker born every minute.
                My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
                from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
                --MarkG

and by MikeH
                she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                  (sucked and still does)
                  Andy, when was the last time you played CtP? Did you *ever* play it with the MedMod or Cradle?

Originally posted by ACOLKitty
                  Unfortunatly CtP had no AI and even the Mod packs have yet to make the game capable of beating ANYONE.
                  It's true that veteran players like you and me can still beat the AI even with Cradle (the toughest mod to play) installed, but the same goes for any other Civ game. Less experienced players though apparently loose to the AI every now and then, with both MedMod and Cradle, so you're exaggerating things here.

Anyway, I don't think SimGolf should be covered, Apolyton doesn't cover Antietam(sp?) or Gettysburg either, does it? Even if Civ3 is a failure, there will still be CtP2, SMAC(2?), Civ2, Alt Civs and others. It's a Civ site so it should IMHO cover Civ(-like) games - though news items on BHG or Sid's other projects are fine with me.
                  Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Then perhaps Apolyton, if civ III is a bad game or sells badly, should shift its focus to another TBS hit game... or Empire Earth??? Or Europa Universalis or Risk 2, etc... just to survive, because I feel that Civ III will give the franchise 2 more years on the net at most... 1 year of good activity if it is good. If it's bad 3 months of good activity.
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

There will be no need to "shift focus"...

Civ III will be fine. It won't be perfect, but it will be good enough for us to play. And If not, let the whining begin
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I for one and going to buy it on the first day...... if not preordered (i've had some bad experiences with that though) If its no good then I'll play it for a few others then give.... hell I even gave CTP a chance lol
                        I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                          Anyway, I don't think SimGolf should be covered, Apolyton doesn't cover Antietam(sp?) or Gettysburg either, does it?
                          As Mark pointed out to me one time about the same question, that Apolyton was not around when Gettysburg was announced, released. He never answered whether it would have been covered had ACS been around but my guess is probably. After all dinosaurs was covered and the only reason Sim Golf wasn't was a huge backlash thread against coverage as tons of angry civers were afraid of a Civ III delay.
                          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Dinosaurs was a civ-style game.

SidGolf is nothing at all like civ- this is the Apolyton Civilization Site and is dedicated to talking about empire building games, IE Earth:2025, Europa Universalis, etc.
                            -->Visit CGN!

Comment

What about empire earth.... it looks like a god game to me, anyone heard anything specific about it?
                              And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Working...
                              X