Request for useful addition to forum script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Lip quivering*

I think most people would welcome the system I suggested as a supplement to the existing one. It aslo has the advantage of keeping the information about visited threads from one session (log on) to another, which is very useful.

Please implement this Markos if it's not too much work. All in good time, of course.

And congratulations on your third anniversary. Well done I must say.

Comment

You still have to use cookies, otherwise there's no way to retain the "memory" between the visits. The modification seems easy: just use bigger cookies by concatenating thread number and last post read. However there is a problem, namely how to keep track of threads that aren't touched? Should they be set to read, unread, something in between? It's not that easy (in terms of design decisions).

Glonk,

Hourly? What are you talking about?

Winston,

Don't use the Back button on your browser it messes up the cookie updating. Use the drop down box at the bottom right or the nav (navigation) bar near the top.
      Last edited by Urban Ranger; August 9, 2001, 00:26.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
        the fact is GP, that i do see correctly the threads with new posts and during a session i do see the threads that i have visited as read and not as having new posts.

therefore the issue is a matter of how the forum is used and not if it has a feature or not.

correct me if i'm wrong....
        I will interpret this as a "no" to my first question. Mark, if you keep acting DanQish, I will start being Yin26ish!

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          You still have to use cookies, otherwise there's no way to retain the "memory" between the visits.
          Not if you do it like on the old boards. That system used your browser's url history to keep track of which threads you had visited.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul
            Not if you do it like on the old boards. That system used your browser's url history to keep track of which threads you had visited.
            that trick wont work for people who dont use cookies for browsing and have the session number on the url(the thing after "s=")
            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I'm all for better functionality. Currently the easiest way for me to work out if there have been any new posts is to look at all the threads that have had their last posts after I was last here.

To narrow it down I also quickly scan the screen for threads with the black marker indicating which threads I have posted in and should therefore revisit.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

So, can we have both the present envelope system and the old coloured thread title system like on the UBB board?

Please?

Comment

do you think that would work?

Comment

Ecthelion,
                    I have absolutely no idea. The only thing I know is that the present system doesn't work nearly as well for me as the old one. It's impossible to extract any useful information about which threads have been visited and which ones haven't.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                      So, can we have both the present envelope system and the old coloured thread title system like on the UBB board?

Please?
                      as i said in a previous post, it would not work for people who dont use cookie during their visits...
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Won't some kind soul please help me convince Markos about changing to the old system of different coloured threads?

I can't do it on my own. I don't know enough about the mechanics of cookies and all that stuff. I just know I miss the old system, and I've a feeling I'm not the only one.

Please? It'll be an improvement for a number of us I think, and no loss to anyone.

Comment

Working...
                        X