What happened in 1970?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened in 1970?

how was there an apolyton site back in 1970? I keep seeing people who joined in 1970. what did you do before civ1 was released? complain that sid hadn't even thought of civ yet?

It's an error with the forums. Apparently there are more important things to be done before it can be fixed.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Heh, Apolyton member for 31 years and still going strong.

The error has to do with members who registered, IIRC, before a date (?) in early '99. A fix is supposed to get out the door in a bit. When is up in the air, as DaShi said.

Comment

Its the default in script for a feild where a date is required but none is entered.
        Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
        Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I think H Tower is a DL. My detective work is as such:

If he was really from Illinois, the registration date would show Dec 1969, not Jan 1970...

DL! DL! DL!

Markos, can I have a medal
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

The 1969 would only occur if he had set his time zone in his proble, the default being gmt.
            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Beatles broke up (duh)

But of course we all know that it says 1969 for all of us to remember the death of the member of the greatest rock and roll band ever, Brian Jones of the ROLLING STONES

Now for your ignorance pay me my post count in USD, but I'll accept pounds... of gold
              I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Now I never thought of that Lefty But hell, there is nothing like initiating a good old fashioned DL witchhunt. It is a long time since we last had one
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by SMACed
                  , IIRC, before a date (?) in early '99. .
                  If anyone is that interested, I think the exact cut-off date was 15th February 1999.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

When were the forums officaly started then ??? Obviously before 1999 !!!
                    GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

26 July 1998. TFGC2S and Ultimate Civ2 site also had predecessor forums. TFGC 2S for a fewmonths. Ultimate for a couple years.

Comment

I think 1970 is a "universal" default representing a time before PCs. I'm nopt sure if its a M$ ir an IBM idea but old versions of DOS start from 1970 if no date is set on startup.
                        (+1)

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                          I think H Tower is a DL. My detective work is as such:

If he was really from Illinois, the registration date would show Dec 1969, not Jan 1970...

DL! DL! DL!

Markos, can I have a medal
                          I am not a DL!!!!!!! i haven't posted more than 10 messages in the OT and i've been play testing a scenario for ScotF. ask him if i'm a DL. If i am a DL (which i'm not), who's am i?

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower

I am not a DL!!!!!!! i haven't posted more than 10 messages in the OT and i've been play testing a scenario for ScotF. ask him if i'm a DL. If i am a DL (which i'm not), who's am i?
                            Oh be quiet, you DL!

Not sure about the year DOS aplication came on-line.

I believe the 1970 is just a default setting that no one bothered to change.
                            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

It is the defualt setting... too much work to chage everybody While many of us have been around for a long time... no way
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X