ACSR Launches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACSR Launches

After several months of preparation on issues such as formatting, back issues and section layout/presentation, <B>Apolyton Civilization Site Radio</B> -- or <B>ACSR</B> for short -- <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/misc/radio">has launched</A>.

The weekly broadcast, available for streaming live on demand, is available to all those who have the <A HREF="http://www.real.com/R/RC.HP0709t1.free-2.txt..R/www.real.com/player/index.html?src=010709realhome_1" TARGET="_new">RealPlayer</A> installed on their computer and have a 28.8kbps or higher Internet connection. Hosted by Dan "DanQ" Quick, each broadcast of <B>ACSR</B> delivers seven days worth of <I>Civilization</I> news as delivered in Apolyton's <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/news">News Room</A>.

As per pre-ACSR broadcasts, marketed and produced as the audio version of Apolyton's <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/misc/newsletter">newsletter</A> (also known as "Apolyton News"), they have been temporarily taken offline.

Comments/questions etc. are welcomed by posting replies in this thread or <A HREF="mailto:dan@apolyton.net">emailing me directly</A>.

----------------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

If I record a brief rap regarding my views on gangs and women, can it be played during the commercial break in an upcoming broadcast?

Comment

Dan, don't threadjack my thread

Comment

Gareth:

Only serious comments/questions etc., please.

---------------
        Dan; Apolyton CS
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Lose the cheesy music at the start.

Aside from that, it`s good.
          "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Who says Poly doesn't have a sense of humor?

Oh,.........You mean this is real?!?

Never mind.

My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
            from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
            --MarkG

and by MikeH
            she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

RealPlayer Error

Personally, I hate RealPlayer. I can never get it to work properly and it always gives me errors when I try to stream media.

ACSR is no exception. Whenever I click on the link I get the attached files error message. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix the problem.

My thanks in advance.
              Attached Files
              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Good done Dan, but how do I save these to hard-drive, just like I did with audio newsletter, for being able to listen to it later, and 2x cheaper?
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Tniem:

What version of the RealPlayer are you running? You need at least G2 (equivalent of a version "6") in order to listen to the streams -- if you have it, try upgrading to the latest version (version 8).

If you get/have that and the problem still persists, try bypassing Internet Explorer through the connection process by right-clicking on the link, select "Copy Shortcut" and then in RealPlayer go to 'Open URL' under the "File" menu and paste the URL in there and then click "OK".

If after all this you still can't get the file to stream, let me know.

Solver:

Thank you for your kind words, and to you too Paul (to the latter: what do you think of the interim music?) It's good to know that the broadcasts are being listened to.

If you would like to download the file for later listening, right-click on the broadcast link (.ram) you want and select "Save Target As". From here, open up the file in Notepad and you will see to which file (.rm) it points to. You should then be able to copy and paste this URL (save 'pnm://') into your browser's 'Open' command or preferred download agent -- if you experience problems in doing so for whatever reason, let me know.

----------------
                  Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

I think that Mark and Dan should rap! Now that would be interesting...

...with a little Ming thrown in the mix of course...

yo yo yo im rappin' ming and i am da king of the poly moderatas im da spam exterminata, a killin' machine, a cold ice queen, so ya betta watch yo back cause i be layin down the smack

Poll: Could I be worse then Vanilla Ice?

Comment

Yeah, but your better than Gareth Edmundson, so dont worry
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I still think that the best thing I've ever heard from DanQ was the Civ1 intro ...
                        This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

DanQ,

I had RealPlayer 8, I don't know what was wrong. It still doesn't work for me to click through but by manually typing in the address I got it to work.

Haven't finished listening to this week's report, will let you know what I fully think when I do so. But so far I like it. Will be looking forward to it weekly.
                          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Heh, this could be cool. I will have a look when I get home as this damn computer doesn't have sound capability, although it has good bandwidth (uni networked)...

DJ DanQ in the house
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

[ LightEning: ]

This file is most likely still on the server -- I will look at updating the Radio section's homepage to carry a "Misc". section and this clip would definitely be included.

I also have another feature that I'm planning for it that I hope to have posted in a couple of weeks... top secret though, stay tuned!

[ tniem: ]

Do you still have RealPlayer 8 (you said "had")? I would suspect that Internet Explorer does not know how to handle the .ram extension. Is it listed if you look at file type settings under Windows Explorer? Go to Explorer then choose 'View' --> 'Folder Options' --> 'File Types' (tab).

Let me close my latest post here by saying that I have enjoyed reading the comments in this thread, even those that weren't so serious, as it's nice to know that people are interested and/or are listening to the broadcast(s). Based on some of the discussions here I believe that adding an ACSR "FAQ" to the Radio section would be useful.

Please keep the comments coming, folks!

---------------
                              Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Working...
                              X