Just voicing my opinion (and poll!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just voicing my opinion (and poll!)

Poll Question: Do you think OT posts should raise post count as they once did?

I heard about this a while ago, but because I wasn't an active poster on ACS I didn't really say anything about it. I'm sure the decision has been made, and maybe even a poll has already been created for this...well...here goes anyway...

As much as I don't like constant spam, I really don't see it as a big problem, least not as much as it used to be, here at Apolyton. The OT is where some of our most intelligent posters post, some of them are OT only posters, and some deserve a lot of credit for the material that they post. I don't care much about post count, but it is a tradition here at ACS and it helps to give posters and identity. If you really are having a problem with spam because of post count, why not give out more PCRs? Low level of course, to spammers that won't take a hint? Just hit them with a 5% PCR when they get uppity, and they'll realize that it's a waste. I honestly don't think it will be much of a problem though anyway. A lot of the veterans here have had their fun with spamming, and are on to normal intelligent posting. Even once criminal spammers (not naming names) seem to have cooled off since I last remember them.

Well, just the prospective of a returning vet No bashing of the owners/staff intended.
    Yes, because I am a dirty, dirty spammer.
    9.52%
    Yes, because I feel I am a legitimate poster
    38.10%
    Yes. It's tradition!
    7.14%
    No, because I am a mod/owner and what I say goes
    7.14%
    No. The OT has been better off with the new rule in place.
    11.90%
    It doesn't matter to me, I don't care about post count.
    26.19%
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish! Abolish!

(I love the feeling I get when I say repeat some word too many times)
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Just what I wanted . I know that you'd better never hear what the staff members all think about this, but the debates are hot.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Making OT posts not counted just forces the spammers on to other areas of the forum.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I have seen very little effect on the on-topic posting. The on-topic may be a little bit busier, but not with spam. People do seem to be making good posts there relevent to the subject being discussed.
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

A lot of the posts in the OT seem as spammy as they did before.
            And the other half of them are legitimate debates and should count towards something.

Please reinstate OT post counts
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
              Making OT posts not counted just forces the spammers on to other areas of the forum.
              Excactly it forces spammers onto forums like this one.
              * glances around then sneaks back into hiding 'har har another thread spammed' *
              Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                No, not to say that amounts of spam have increased too much in other areas. We were afraid of it, but it doesn't happen, at least that seriosly.
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I am still totally indifferent about this situation relating to post counts either way. It has made no difference to the situation at all, I haven't gone anywhere and still post in exactly the same way as I did before. My return to on-topic posting actually started before the end of post counts on the OT. As civ3 was getting closer, I felt the urge to get involved there a bit more! Sometimes during the daytime I can post there more than in the off-topic (quiet during my daytime). And none of my on-topic posts are spam. Of course there is the usual 'funpost' in the off-topic, but nothing out of the ordinary...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I dont really care that much, I have my avatar so Im happy. Must be tough for the newbies though...
                    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

I don't get the post count thing like is there a prize or something? lol Man if you have something relavant to say post it. If not fill your life up with other meaningful things. I don't get the avitar thing either like why can't anyone have one?
                      “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
                      Or do we?

Comment

It is an elite thing.

You are sooooooooo cool if you can prove how much time you have wasted talking about video games and gun control.

My goal is to get PCRs until I reach 0 posts. I am doing well.
                        My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
                        from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
                        --MarkG

and by MikeH
                        she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

I used to make serious insightfull posts across the whole OT. Now I post only in the ME and Arena threads...
                          "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                            I used to make serious insightfull posts across the whole OT. Now I post only in the ME and Arena threads...
                            Heh. That definitely strengthens the case for getting rid of the post counts.

Comment

Perhaps a total removal of all post counts would be better, that way people would have no incentive to spam like this !!!! OOOPSSSSS
                              GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Working...
                              X