Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birthdays - potential security problem?

A difficult and perhaps controversial topic, but one that I think bears mentioning:

While I imagine it gives a warm feeling to see one's birthday proclaimed on the main page, releasing that information on the internet is risky behavior. Information on birthdate could be exploited by two of the lowest life forms on the internet: identity thiefs and pedophiles. Identity theft requires a few key pieces of information: name, birthdate, address, identification number, mother's maiden name. Birthdate is provided in the profile of many users, and their name, in many cases, can be read directly or deduced from their handle or email address. Street address is easily found using one of the many "find people" engines on the web. In many cases, users are kind enough to narrow down the search to a city or area with their location field.

I don't want to sound too paranoid here, but I think a certain healthy suspicion is warranted. Caution is particularly advisable for the younger members, who are often the most open about their personal information. Perhaps a warning of some sort is in order?

i dont see a big issue, mainly due to the protection of e-mail addresses

even if you have the "Hide Email Address?" option turned to "no", there is no way to see the mail address of the user. it is not shown on the page, nor is it hidden in the html source.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

i dont think we got too many young girls here to warrant hiding information from the pediophiles...

The number of gay people here is a worry though !!!
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Yeah. All of us just sit around all day thinking of raping little kids.
        My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
        from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
        --MarkG

and by MikeH
        she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

Oh, and MikeH too.

See my sig for details.
          My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
          from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
          --MarkG

and by MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by ACOLKitty
            Oh, and MikeH too.

See my sig for details.
            All dpeneds on country you are in i guess

Comment

Georgia is not a country.

"ok, fine.
              --MarkG

and by MikeH

Comment

Since when?

Comment

There are 11 Spink households in the Manchester area...
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

And 11 Athens in the world. But only one has the Acropolis.

Comment

Showing the birthday is an option. isn't it?

If someone is concerned about security, can they not chose to not display their B-Day?
                      I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                      i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Depends on which Georgia you're talking about...

Comment

I am probably one of the people in question here. (I'm 13.)
                          I am not particularly worried though... some people know my first name, but nobody knows my last name or address. Also, a civ site isn't the first place pedophiles would look. There are very few members under 16 as well.

BTW, I think I am Apolyton's youngest consistent member. I wonder who's the oldest.
                          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

probably ming, he always comes across as some wise old man , i'd guess about 60

glad to see your consistnet firedragon... do you actually paly a civ game or just post here for fun ??

Comment

Both. Civ 1, Civ 2, Colonization, Gettysburg, anything that Sid Meier was remotely involved with. I always wonder why the entire civ community is me, my sister, and a bunch of old fogies who don't have a life.

I think people have gotten a bit too worried about security online. Pedophiles[list=1][*]Would not go to a civ site to try to find kids, they would go to a kids romance chatroom, or some dumb place like that[*]only target people that they can arrange to meet[*]Can't find you unless they both know the area and your first and last names. (Or address)[/list=1]

Also, even if they can find their way to your house, how do they know that you won't call the cops on them when they try to get in. The media has gotten too obsessed with this topic, like they have with gas prices.

Random irrelevant comment:

I've noticed that californians are coming here less and less... HA HA! You don't have power and we do!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X