Suggestions for increasing speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for increasing speed

Since a lot of people are complaining about how slow the site is, I guess it's time for us to dream up some schemes to improve the situation.

1. Webpage optimisation. Put all the static stuff into external files that only needs to be loaded once. For example most of the JavaScript code can be placed in .js files and linked externally. Also put more of the formatting into the CSS files.

2. Restrict file sizes. Except for the on-topic forums all attached files should be 50K or less.

3. Remove unused features. The "rating" bit comes to the mind. This simplifies webpage layout and reduces file size at the same time.

4. Ask for donations. So the pipe can be upgraded

Any other suggestions?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Is it possible to steal bandwidth? Maybe we could put some of our trolls to good use for a change.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Maybe we could inva...err invite ourselves over to other (fast-moving) forums and just set up threads with Apolyton in title?

Comment

I thought you were going to suggest branching thread then GP

Well they just need to upgrade their connection. God help us all when Civ3 arrives and the hordes of newbies arrive...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

[time warp back to Januari 2000] Maybe Gamestats could send every Apolytoner a free DSL-modem, together with a free copy of civ3? [/timewarp back to Januari 2000]
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Understanding is the answer...

Why not post when it's not so busy?

This was a suggestion I heard here once....
            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Ban all the left wingers, leaving all the bandwidth for the more valuable members of society.
              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
                Ban all the left wingers, leaving all the bandwidth for the more valuable members of society.
                Won't it get boring with just the four of you?

Just imagine 1/4 of all posts made by Giancarlo
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                X