Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is ACOLKitty's current 41 day ban too harsh?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MtG, I still feel that it is a little extreme, but I understand your reasoning.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

A lot fo talk about nothing...

Seems to me that Kitty, MikeH and the ACOL bunch got what they wanted, which was to get people talking about their site at Apolyton. From the looks of things, this whole stunt was based around just that. It leads me to believe that in the 'get a life' department, many are sorely lacking...
      I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
      i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

And yet ACOL goes on, year after year, WITHOUT moderation.
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

The smaller the site, the more easily that can be done. You should know, Horsie, you're a very small site owner.

(Glad to see it's still going, BTW)

And no resignation, for now, I'll just use my time efficiently.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
            I think MTG has shown himself unsuitable to be a mod - his approach seems to have more to do with his own internal dramas than fairness.

Ming is always moderate in his punishments - and he gives warnings. He's much more likely to just close or delete a thread than ban someone.

MLeonard is the best - he's active but almost invisible.
            The fact that you have earned AH's ire must put you at the front of the Moderator line. Come on Ming, and Mleonard, get with the program.
            Here's a link.

Comment

But of course...

Originally posted by MBloomIII

The fact that you have earned AH's ire must put you at the front of the Moderator line. Come on Ming, and Mleonard, get with the program.
              Horsie's ire is about the best endorsement one could have for this job.
              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Of course when people are showing what fools they are, they usually can't see it themselves. And others can't tell them either. But then usually one day, they suddenly see it. Then the fun starts.

Personally, I don't take it up the arse for anybody. I don't do the bidding of others. I certainly don't shaft other people to keep bosses happy. I don't want the ability to lord it over people. It gives me no pleasure. I certainly don't get an erection out of that sort of thing and want to use the smilie.

Of course I render unto Caesar like everyone else but these days I have no desire to be a Caesar, and still less one of his willing henchman.

But then maybe I'm a fool - its cost me a lot in life. There's a price to be paid for being like that. But I'm always amazed at how willing others are to take on roles like punisher, banner, controller - and to then inflict on others once they have those powers - usually for fear of losing these petty perceived advantages. I guess that's the dark side of the human spirit.

Does HK's 41 days matter in the great scheme of life? No. Do I think it was proportionate, well motivated and fair? No just the same.

Bah! I'm far too philosophical today - pearls to swine, pearls to swine.
                Last edited by Alexander's Horse; May 26, 2001, 22:49.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                  Personally, I don't take it up the arse for anybody. I don't do the bidding of others.
                  I thought you worked for the government?

I certainly don't get an erection
                  Well, you are 2300 years old.

But then maybe I'm a fool. There's a price to be paid for being like that. But I'm always amazed at how willing others are to take on roles like punisher, banner, controller - and to then inflict on others once they have those powers. I guess that's the dark side of the human spirit.
                  Such eloquence, expended on behalf of such triviality. ...

Does HK's 41 days matter in the great scheme of life? No.
                  Especially when she'll be posting Monday or Tuesday, depending on when she gets back from her weekend trip, with one of her two remaining logons, assuming she hasn't got more.

If she wasn't out of town, she'd be posting now.

Comment

Render unto Caesar the things that are spam

Yes, I'm not sure if I should have posted those thoughts - they really don't belong here.

Comment

Re: Render unto Caesar the things that are spam

ROFLMFAO!!!

Render unto Caesar...

You should be in advertising, you find a way to get your message in anywhere. True talent.

Comment

MikeH you supported ACOL Kitty and MarkG's quest to have my EthnicCleanser username removed or changed , however you want to put it. Yet from reading what MTG has to say about some of the posts from ACOL Kitty, how can you even begin to believe that the ban isn't deserved?

I don't see how ethnic cleanser is anywhere near as bad as this(especially as it was a username) its not like i went around making jokes about it.....or targeting a specific group or race ........

Seems to me that your choice of what is right and wrong is based soley on the fact that you "know" ACOL Kitty and don't know me. Perhaps you jumped on the MarkG bandwagon just to up your post count or perhaps we just feel differently about things.

At any rate , not looking to flame an old topic but just trying to see what makes people whom they are
                        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I still think your name sucks War

Yes but none of the things cited for this very long ban are in fact worth a ban at all. You weren't banned were you War?

Take the vomit picture - that has been posted more than once -Dracon even had it on his web site and trailed it around on his sig for a long time. Of course Mike wouldn't know that because he's not an OT vet.

Calling people names? Gee, that's new. Hardly ban material.

Saying she had 3 D/Ls? Lots of people make jokes like that, including me. This is the first time anyone has had a ban slapped on them for that, and a massive ban at that.

One of the problems here is that the jackboot mod in question just doesn't have a "feel" for the OT. He doesn't know so he stomps around making an ass of himself and losing old friends at quite an astounding rate as a result. Ming was handling HK quite effectively without all this drama.

MarkG is strict about off topic posting on the on topic forums, that could get you a short ban, but that's about it.

So who is supporting him? Basically a bunch of OT newbies who have equally little understanding of the OT and its history. Figures.

I know what he's trying to do but I don't like the scapegoat approach. Sooner or later you run up against someone who won't lie down and there is a lot of trouble someone like that could cause for the whole site, though hacking etc.

Walk softly is my advice to the newbie mod.

Comment

Horsie's steaming "pearls" of wisdom.

I've been here 20 months under this name, registered and lurked, but didn't post, pre-February crash, under another name.

The vomit picture didn't trigger a ban. End of non-issue.

Yes, I suppose making "goddamned jews" remarks shouldn't be banned. What's next? Excellent way to show off the site - let bigots, or in this case, play bigots, have their fun at the expense of whatever ethnic or religious group, or race, or whatever they feel like slagging off. Your site is different - it's mostly a club of people who basically all know each other well, so inside jokes and crap that most people would have the sense not to say in public can get by just fine there.

I know lots of people make jokes about having DL's. They don't get banned. Hmmm, perhaps a different context here, but Horses don't have that kind of frontal lobe development, so that's OK if you don't see that there might be more to the picture.

They're not jackboots, they're <i>jump</i>boots. Size 11-EEE Corcorans, in fact. Best paratroop boot ever made.

Losing old friends? If anybody personalizes things to that extent, they weren't real friends in the first place, and it's no loss to me.

Let's can the Newbies and Vets stuff, shall we? This ain't the #$% Army, and seniority and date of rank have no place. Cliques of longtime posters aren't worth dignifying with the name "Veterans," especially this weekend.

If you had a clue what I was trying to do, you wouldn't whinny publicly. Your previous "two week" ban was what? Five days? After we talked by pm. *hint* I've even reversed bans on the spot, after talking things over with people. How long Kitty's ban will actually go is mostly between her and I. But if people not involved keep running their mouths publicly, thinking that they're going to "force" something, then that's too bad, because it limits the leeway to privately work things out.

The only time I walk softly is when I'm hunting someting.

Comment

The newbie thing is only relevant in the sense that I would have thought a knowledge of how the forum has been moderated in the past would be essential to avoid needless controversies. Silly me. The Goddamned Jew comment was worth a warning at best - its hardly an anti-semitic campaign.

But I'm serious about the script kiddy comment. We don't want to create a forum terrorist now do we? I'm not talking about myself here obviously but others are skilled and crazed enough to cause a lot of trouble.

Hey! New smilies

And when you cut my ban, you should have given me 1600 posts back too. That's proportional

Comment

Here we go again...
                                Life and death is a grave matter;
                                all things pass quickly away.
                                Each of you must be completely alert;
                                never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Working...
                                X