The new forums are a degrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new forums are a degrade

They are too slow. It's counter productive. Too slow to open, too slow to post too slow to refresh.

I agree they are more powerful but unless there is some way to speed them up the new forums are a degrade as far as I am concerned.

Effieciency should be the word.

Just my 2 cents...

I hope there is a way to speed them up. Up untill now they are a pain in the ass.

BTW, I'm not putting down the new effort.

I think what I said is a valid point and I only care for the number of posters NOT to decrease because of the speed problems.

Comment

From my home, the boards load quickly and everything looks good. From the office, slow as can be. What you should do is go into the control panel, and select options. Turn off Avatars and signatures... then set it to show only 10 posts at a time.
      When I did that, things loaded MUCH quicker! Give it a try.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ok. I'll try that. Thanx Ming

Comment

Re: The new forums are a degrade

Originally posted by paiktis22
          They are too slow. It's counter productive. Too slow to open, too slow to post too slow to refresh.

I agree they are more powerful but unless there is some way to speed them up the new forums are a degrade as far as I am concerned.

Effieciency should be the word.

Just my 2 cents...

I hope there is a way to speed them up. Up untill now they are a pain in the ass.
          Slow for me at first but now that most of the graphics, information, etc have been loaded into my cache, quicker load times. I also have a cable modem so I am not concerned but a few of the avitars have been bugging me by slowing the load of a page. I will probably turn them off soon.
          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

The speed picks up after awhile, after your browser has cached the images, etc. It's now just as fast as uBB if not faster.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

vBB vs. UBB

Yeah, I don't think there has been a change in speed. This system seems to be generally faster than UBB and the images slow it down a bit to about the same speed overall. But once cached, there is no problem.

I am quite impressed, it is all flowing well. The only thing that caution should be exercised over is attachments to posts, which can slow down computers on meagre 56K modems, especially if they are pushing the full length...

So it's vBB
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

In general, I find everything much quicker, as well as much nicer to use. Only this forum, curiously, appears to be slow.

The avatars are a hoot - it will be a while before I turn them off.

Comment

Working...
                X