Maximum Post Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum Post Length

I've not run into trouble with this yet... (others have) but I'm sure I will at some point. It has got to be the most annoying feature ever. Imagine being in the middle of an excellent post - perhaps in the fiction section, or a good debate in the OTF or elsewhere - and trying to post it only to find that some stupid feature means that you'll have to piss around with a second post. Ugh.

Okay, I know it's set high, but if it's set so high then it might as well not exist at all... it's not doing anything worthwhile and on the odd occasion it'll cause real inconvenience to good posts and good posters. Bad move.
    Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

below the textarea there is a "[check message length]" link.....

btw, most of the time the news of an entire week are less than 10k....
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Yes, I see that... but once the threshold is reached, you have to edit, cut down and then post another post... it's annoying and with the limit set so high it's not serving any useful purpose.

Comment

AND ANOTHER THING...

Incidentally, the ICQ/AIM symbols on the left make it look really ugly. Horrid.

Comment

Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
          it's annoying and with the limit set so high it's not serving any useful purpose.
          seems like you like to see thing half empty.....
          i would say that the high limit means that 99% of the people will never realize that there is a limit

still, we're here arguing about it...

Comment

post length restrictions...

MtG is going to have to make about 16 posts when he gets on a rant
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Cool, this is better and better. Deflating the cut and paste and other windbags, alright!
              Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
              Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
              "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
              From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Fiction Forums.

This is the first feature that I ran into yesterday. I was posting my Chiron Chronicles story and had to make two posts instead of just one. Another little feature that I ran into was the limitation on editing. I couldn't go back and edit a post that was made a couple of weeks ago in the Chiron Chronicles Admin page. For the average poster in the OT neither of these will impact them much at all. But for those that post in the fiction forum it will be a major deal. Can you imagine some of the Spartan Chronicle posts that have been written in the past being split up like that? Anyway, if it isn't fixed, I guess I will just have to plan a little better.

edit: I stand corrected on the edit feature. Just went back again and I was able to edit the post.
                Last edited by Sprayber; May 22, 2001, 13:22.
                Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Amen Sprayber. Although I don't post there I can imagine the effect of this rule on the Fiction forums. It would also creep into the S&D, well if there were any stories there... I imagine the OT thread rule will drive the creative minds of the OT to the S&D.

Comment

sprayber, i was under the impression that the limit on our previous forum were smaller than 10000

anyway, it's now 20000
                    i suppose it's enough....

Comment

Re: post length restrictions...

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                      MtG is going to have to make about 16 posts when he gets on a rant
                      The #$%^ thing (translation: very nice feature ) already cost me a third of a megapost, because the combination of post length and numbering quote tags as image tags kept giving me maximum tags errors, and I eventually lost it in cut and paste.

My post wasn't that long , but I had a lot of quoted statements from many other posts to reply to, and they took up about 60 percent of the text limit.
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

20,000 is definitely enough - my mangled post was 18,000, and included about 10-11 of quoted stuff.

I never hit a limit in any of my posts on the UBB forum, and some of CivNation's cut and paste jobs made my biggest megaposts look small.
                        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                          sprayber, i was under the impression that the limit on our previous forum were smaller than 10000

anyway, it's now 20000
                          i suppose it's enough....
                          I never ran into a problem before this. I usually get a little carried away and write a lot. Anyway, thanks for the attention.
                          Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Brevity is the soul of wit.
                            Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I don't do megaposts. I try and keep them short and succinct (no, not spam ) but sometimes if someone has got my back up enough I will make a long winded post. But nowhere near 20000 characters. Shouldn't pose anyone a problem, even CivNation
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X