Lost Posters - a suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Posters - a suggestion

It may be my imagination, but I believe we have lost a fair number of regular posters since the upgrade - as I know for a fact that SG[2] believed the site to be down (all his bookmarks were to apolyton.net) I suspect that many of our colleagues with a little less IT knowledge than ourselves might be in a similar position - Can I ask Dan and Mark if it is feasible to e-mail recent (pre-upgrade) posters with a note giving the new URL for this marvelous site - or at least for each of us to e-mail a couple of 'absent friends' I have sent EST a heads-up for example ...

------------------
    Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
    "The Great Library must be built!"
    "A short cut has to be challenging,
    were it not so it would be 'the way'."
    - Paul Craven
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Everyone who subscribes to the mailing list has been informed of the changes.

------------------
    phoenixcager of the Civgaming Network.
    Visit the CGN forums.

Comment

Yes, but that did not include me for example (what mailing list he asks?) how many people does it include ... ?

Comment

Have now e-mailed SlowThinker - would anyone who knows LaFayette's e-amil please give him a heads-up ...

Comment

Someone in the CtP-multiplayers forum sent a mass mail to a whole bunch of ctp players, so that group pretty much knows what's going on.

But since we work mainly with PBEMs, knowing each others' email addresses is a bit easier.

------------------
          phoenixcager of the Civgaming Network.
          Visit the CGN forums.

Comment

Since the change (supposedly) makes the forums easier to use, traffic should have gone up or at least stayed the same. I think it is very obvious that people are not connecting through the new links. The site has lost a lot of internet brand equity (in the form of all the old links that don't wokr now.)

Comment

"The site has lost a lot of internet brand equity"

I think that this is extreme/worst-case scenario.

We may have suffered in the short-term but I think that we have done a very good job in getting the word out to people about the problem, publishing continual updates etc. despite the severe stress and workload associated with this and other elements in life.

I do not believe there will be any long-term problems associated with the recent server difficulties, especially considering a) past trackrecord of uptime (e.g. when was the last time Apolyton was down, and for how long?) and b) the benefits that, as these problems are resolved, everyone is experiencing. This server move was not just a move 'to move', if you know what I mean...

----------------
              Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Working...
              X