Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Views" (number of times a thread is viewed)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Views" (number of times a thread is viewed)

See http://www.europa-universalis.com/fo...9a3c&forumid=5 for an example.

It's surprising, actually, to see some threads with an incredible number of views but almost no replies. Very interesting.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

I suppose that is "pageview."

Another silly number that the marketing department goes by, but can be easily, hm, adjusted.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

But you saw the example, right? I'm talking about people being able to see how many times their thread was clicked on. Sure, you can flood it with clicks, I suppose, but who would waste so much time...wait, almost all of OT would.

Still, I would find this helpful on the Civ3 forums.
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I didn't click on the link, but I expect it's like what they have on ezboard.

It would be useful for someone who's trying to desseminate info.

------------------
        phoenixcager of the Civgaming Network.
        Visit the CGN forums.

Comment

Yin26, I took a look at that Europe Universalis site and I liked the idea of seeing the 'Views'-count per thread. What's even better, IMHO, is that there is not only the date of the last post but also the name of the poster! Something I would appreciate here too.

Comment

So you can ignore all my posts?
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

I can foresee the answer to this one, actually:

"We will make a big announcement concerning changes to the forums shortly. Stick around."

Comment

Maybe they really should change to vBB instead. Perl codes do look like line noise
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

That's the "big change" they're talking about.

Let's in fact have a "switch to vBB Pool", or something.

My guess: May 23, 2001. Any futher guesses can be listed below.

Comment

I must admit it is a nice looking forum site - but is the upheaval of transferring to another underlying BB platform worth the gains offered? I don't know - certainly we would be losing the wealth of uBB experience that Dan & Mark bring to this site - and there must be financial considerations as well as legacy system problems.

Please don't forget it is much easier to start from scratch with a nice new system than it is to shoehorn an 'old creaking' system onto a new platform - indeed it is this very difficulty that keeps many of us in gainful employment!!

------------------
                    Scouse Git[1]

"Staring at your screen in horror and disbelief when you open a saved game is one of the fun things of a succession game " - Hueij
                    "The Great Library must be built!"
                    "A short cut has to be challenging,
                    were it not so it would be 'the way'."
                    - Paul Craven
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I don't think the problems will be that big, to be honest. PHP is pretty intuitive, certainly easier to learn than perl. Also, it won't really be an "old, creaking" system, because only the databases will come across, none of the old and messy code.

Comment

Working...
                      X