Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

That damn monkey is shocking my browser!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have seen this a thread about this in another forum also. Whenever "Shock the monkey" pops up, some system grind to a halt. Seems to happen in Explorer/Netscape, so can't narrow down where the problem is.

edit - There is a new reply in the other tread: The company responsible for STM has been contacted and says that it will kill the monkey by the end of November
    http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...43&m=597097643
    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by WhiteKnight (edited November 30, 2000).]</font>
    Visit the Civ/SMAC Seti Teams stats!

Comment

Dan,

I swear. Don't be so slow.

Sometimes you remind me of the people in the DMV who make you go all the way through one line to find out you were in the wrong one.

Comment

I swear. Don't be so slow.

Sometimes you remind me of the people in the DMV who make you go all the way through one line to find out you were in the wrong one.

No reason for attitude or insults, GP... if you believe that I have made an oversight, simply point it out to me in a civil tone and I will respond to it.

----------------
        Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

I guess I'm lucky here -- the da<font></font>mn monkey only takes 85% of my CPU time.

Here's a Proxomitron filter to get rid of the monkey (and any other UGO applet ad).

edit by markg: i realise the problem, but please keep some kind of respect to the people who work for this site...
          <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by MarkG (edited December 05, 2000).]</font>
          Thus spake the Dragon

Comment

I never had a problem with this as before so I don't know if it is the correction they mde or the fact that I just started using Netscape 6 but this ad has crashed my browswer 4 out of the 5 times I got it and the fifth time it really screwed with it. Please tell ugo to quit running this ad.

thank you.
            datri

Comment

datri, read the F* news

Comment

I read that it was fixed but my problems have occured today Dec. 5, 2000. Like I said I just started using Netscape 6. I was using Netscape 5 before and had no problem but today every time the monkey ad appears by browser get all screwed up or totally shuts down. The only time this happens in when the monkey shows up all other ads come up fine.

Comment

What monkey?

------------------
                  No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)
                  No, in Australia we don't live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards... Despite any stupid advertisments you may see to the contrary... (And no, koalas don't usually speak!)

Comment

Dan, Markos:

Inform the UGO overlords/GameStats that their stupid monkey ad isn't winning them a single convert. If anything, its presence is driving people AWAY. Logic would dictate — to an advertiser, anyway — that any ad which enrages people likely will rub off on the company.

IOW, no business and no hope for future business from the ticked-off folks. Right now, I am in that category because having to hard re-boot my computer over a stupid ad pisses me off to no end. If it comes to to a head, I will have no choice but to activate anti-ad software. Better to block out ads and/or avoid sites altogether than lose a $1600 investment because of avoidable crashes.

CYBERAmazon
                    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Dan, Markos:

I've had it. Anti-image software has been activated (gotta love the "no images" option in the preferences setting). Why so soon after my last post?

Because of that SCREWBALL MONKEY AD FROZE MY DAMN BROWSER!!! I had to hard reboot my machine!!! Tell those UGO bastards to pay lip service elsewhere!

"Oh, we'll take it off at the end of November!"

We all cheer! The ad vanishes! Guess what, though?! They shove it up our a**es again in the first week of December! If that's their version of telling the truth, they can SHOVE IT WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE.

An enraged ...

CYBERAmazon
                      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

get a real computer . sorry that was bad, it is nice having broadband inernet though. But that damn monkey is just annoying for me. I could see maybe 1 or 2 pages. But earlier today it was on every single page. the posting screen, forum summary screen, individual threads. very distracting. I have serious posting to do.

Comment

Actually it doesn't seem to cause mine much problem for some reason, maybe it is due to the fact that I have an Athlon 700. But the advert with all the boxes that move has caused it considerable slowdown. Adverts should be simple and snappy, not capable of causing even high-end systems slowdown...
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

. Rather than rleying on relatively useless complaints here (where a remedy is not techologically available) I have sent a POLITE e mail to UGO. You all might do the same, describing the specific conflict of error, but be POLITE, flamming advertisers is a self destructive activity.

------------------
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Pontificator Pendanticus
                            older richer & wiser than you
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Lefty:

That has already been done — and in a polite manner. I see no harm in letting off a bit of e-steam. Much better that, I imagine, than grabbing an axe IRL and taking it out on the advertising company's president's Mercedes Benz.

CYBERAmazon

Comment

There is absolutely no reason to shout or swear -- certainly not here as this is not where any UGO employee is apt to read it.

Did anyone not see the post in the "About Apolyton" section I put up yesterday? UGO has taken action on this. You need to start paying more attention to the news pull-down menu.

----------------
                                Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Working...
                                X