AdvancedAccountancy.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AdvancedAccountancy.com

Is it possible to make a mirror site or whatever called www.advancedaccountancy.com or somesuch so that when browsing at work the goons that have to check our web habits don't get suspicous of the addresses we've been visiting? Thats a big request, but I thought I'd ask.

Also, If any of you ever read Counter Strike Enquirer ( http://enquirer.counter-strike.net/ ) it would be pretty groovy to make an equivelent for Civ. People could submit stories on a special forum and the best could be culled for said rag.

Ah well. I like this thing too.
    www.neo-geo.com

That is a great idea johnmcd! I imagine that the majority of us have some kind of 'thought police' watching these days (and I don't mean Ming )

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
    "The Great Library must be built!"
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

HA HA HA HA! Great Idea. Something tells me that they won't do it, but you have to love the idea!
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I was just thinking on this a little further. FT.com has a forum bit that allows you to make your own threads, so I suppose there could be an apolyton annex created there if anyone else fancied it.

Anyone?

:*(
        www.neo-geo.com

Comment

John:

Are you not able to clean out your browser's caches if you're worried about your employer getting upset about your visiting Apolyton or..?

Setting up something that you are talking about is not feasible -- sorry.

----------------
          Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Clearing out your browser's cache won't help if your employer's proxy server logs what sites you visit.
            Thus spake the Dragon

Comment

I know it doesn't help, there are only about a hundred of us allowed internet access, of the 90,000 employees in my company, so losing it is all too easy. I guess I'll just have to restrict my viewing, unless anyone is suffering this way too in which case the FT option is still available.
              www.neo-geo.com

Comment

Create one of those zero-size frame pages that seem to be the same page throughout while you're actually surfing to any other site available...

The alternative, of course, is quitting.

Comment

Try setting up a free web page where you get a subdomain, and choose a name like
                  http://officeconsultants.tripod.com

Then set up a frameset on that page relaying you to apolyton.net (and more framesets that point to other favourite sites you aren't supposed to visit )

The only address turning up on the proxy server would be the tripod page, so you're home free. Just don't spend too much time there, or your boss might think it's a good site and visit it himself

------------------
                  Viper
                  viper@cncnz.com
                  Command & Conquer NZ

Comment

Ooops, double post. Sorry
                    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Private Viper (edited September 13, 2000).]</font>

Comment

"Clearing out your browser's cache won't help if your employer's proxy server logs what sites you visit"

I'm well aware of this fact, Lews, but johnmcd never mentioned that that is the way his employer had their corporate Internet access setup so I wasn't even going to touch on that subject. Good point to air, nonetheless.

johnmcd: it sounds like your employer is quite rigid in monitoring your Internet usage while you're @ work. I guess you will just have to visit us from home...

----------------
                      Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Sorry guys, the whole page frame trick doesn't work so don't rely on it - all it does is make the visible address in your browser inocuous <font size=1>I really must learn to spell</font> the proxy server or firewall or fly on the wall logs the frame content!!

(does anyone remember what the above trio of smilies is supposed to represent??)

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                        "The Great Library must be built!"
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Oh well, thanks for all the tips, I guess I'll just have to play at home though.
                          www.neo-geo.com

Comment

I'm just speculating here, but shouldn't it be possible to set up a remote-access proxy server of some sort that will scramble where you've been, similar to those e-mail relay servers?

Comment

I suspect your boss would get rather suspicious if he saw that a large amount of your web traffic was to anonymizer.com .
                              Thus spake the Dragon

Comment

Working...
                              X