Forum Changes Social Conservatism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Changes Social Conservatism?

Is it just me, or are many changes implemented to the forums in any way instantaneously derided as ridiculous, killing the forums, horrible and fascist, etc. at first, but after a few weeks/months the changes are so ingrained that people will fight tooth and claw to keep them?

Ex 1. The new, blue . Literally everyone (well, ok, only about 95%, colse enough) wanted the old one back right after this one was implemented. Now, I'm sure most of you would agree, we have grownused to this one and wouldn't want to lose it again.

Ex 2. The eight hour thread posting restriction. Now, suddenly, a lot of people are speaking out for it. Do you guys remember how it would definatelly kill off the OT for all time just a few weeks ago?

Are we like the americans with their dollar bill? Are we a bunch of socially conservative, close-minded vertical thinkers, unable to try new things?

<font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,Helv" color="DarkOrange">(Ming: move this to the Apolyton forum if you want. I was going to post it there first but then thought that it wasn't actually raising any specific issues, more like a community status question, and that it shouldn't clutter up there. It was a tough call though.)</font>
    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by The Call of Snapcase (edited September 07, 2000).]</font>

Gee, using small reverse type makes it hard for an old man like me to read it.

As you suspected, this really belongs on the Apolyton Forum. It will appear closed here, but will be available for comment there.

Thread Moved!

------------------
    Ming
    CivII & Off-Topic Forum Moderator
    Ming@Apolyton.net
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

<font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,Helv" color="darkorange">See, I thought that might annoy you! I had it in a much more pleasant blue colour and a larger size originally, but that wouldn't have been hard enough to read. I'll try<font color="cream">Cream Coloured Text</font> next</font>

Comment

Man... that's even tougher to read

I think that in general, people are always opposed to change. Even if the change is for the better, people lose there "comfort" factor. Many of us spend a lot of time on this site, and whenever something is different, it annoys us. Now granted, I'm one of the old farts, and maybe that's just me talking. But, I think most people fall in the category of hating change.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Quite right, Ming. Remember the need for someone to walk in front of the then new-fangled automobile with a red flag to announce its approach? Remember when the need was abolished? Remember how you and I objected on the grounds that it would bring about the end of the world as we knew it? Weren't those the days?

------------------
          finbar
          Mono Rules!
          " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
          "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

You may have a point here. Take the "Who's online" add-on f.e. When it was first implemented, there were talks about the end of privacy, the arrival of the Big Brother etc. I, being more materialistic, was afraid that this would make Apolyton even slower, while being effectively useless. Now I can't imagine what I'd do without it...

------------------
            "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
            George Orwell
            "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
            George Orwell

Comment

Now, now you younguns - the real changes that we all opposed were when they tried to float iron ships of all things - people are so stupid!!!
              Oh and Snapcase - your cunning stunt is foiled by the simple expedient of 'selecting' the offending print - it is then easy to read (even without my monacle!).

Good civin'

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
              "The Great Library must be built!"
              "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
              "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Turn it up, SG1, I opposed fire when it was first invented. More than that, I objected to the Big Bang on the grounds of noise pollution.

------------------
                finbar
                Mono Rules!
                " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
                "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

'Cunning stunt' SG1. I'm so pleased you said that one right
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Fortunately PH I'm not given to involuntary Spoonerisms.
                    (999 and counting ... )

------------------

"CARTAGO DELENDA EST" - Cato the Censor
                    "The Great Library must be built!"
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                    X