Explanations for deleting threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explanations for deleting threads

I just had a thread deleted on the OT without explanation. I think I am familiar with the FAQ, I don't know why it was deleted. Wouldn't it be better if there was some explanation given when threads are deleted? Even better, some consultation beforehand if the post is in a grey area?

Mind informing us what thread was deleted?
    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

yeah that's a good idea. I had one deleted last night, although I already know the reason. But I didn't think it was that bad.

Comment

Mao, it was the "Are you a poser?" thread. Perfectly harmless.

Ming does this to me a lot. No explanations, no common courtesy. I suppose he thinks I "should know better" but it isn't clear to me at all sometimes why he deletes my stuff.

In this case, I don't think he knows what a "poser" is and assumed it was something rude. If he'd just asked me I could have explained.....

Comment

I agree that it would be common courtesy to put at least some kind of notification that a thread was deleted, perhaps using the private messages option. An explanation would also help to avoid repetitions of grey area threads started in the future. But the important thing is notification, so that one doesn't think the thread didn't post in the first place.

All the above is provided we're in the grey area. Of course, thread starters that clearly violate the rules needn't be given an explanation when the thread is deleted, and it's up to the moderators to decide which category a thread falls into.

Another thing: I do quite a lot of searches on phrases and poster names to find threads that interest me, and sometimes a thread shows as a search result but the link is to another, unrelated thread. This tells me that the original thread was deleted and the next thread in line got its number. In these cases, it would be a nice feature to be able to see (at the forum front page for instance) which threads were deleted - and possibly with an explanation as to why.

Comment

It was my opinion that the thread in question was pure spam. If I delete a thread for that reason, I will not start start a thread explaining it, because that defeats the purpose of eleminating extra meaningless threads. That policy will not change.

AH sent me a PM on the subject. I responded the minute I saw it.

I do answer every PM, ICQ, or e-mail that I get as soon as I see it. So, if you have a question, just ask...

------------------
            Ming
            CivII & Off-Topic Forum Moderator
            Ming@Apolyton.net
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ming, a couple of questions.

Why would an experienced poster waste their one thread per 8 hours spamming?

Do you know what a poser is?

Comment

The Dictionary describes it as somebody that poses or a question that baffles...

Now, I have no problem with silly threads (Lord knows there are enough of them already)
                But it was my opinion that that thread would be a simple yes, no, what do you mean spam fest. Yes, it was just an opinion, and you are welcome to a difference of opinion...

Now, why would an experienced poster waste his one thread on spam... I don't know, but a heck of alot of people do just that.
                But seriously, we just have a different opinion of what is spam.

------------------
                Ming
                Ming@Apolyton.net
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

Well Ming, I thought it would have been a fun thread because most people don't know what a poser is (your definition is not what I meant by BTW ).

Its a shame really. I'll let you in on the joke if you let me post it

Comment

Well, I will admit I'm personally unaware of the slang meaning for the term. You must admit, based on what I knew, it sure seemed like spam to me. Maybe you should have provided more information than just a one or two line "are you" post. Those types of opening posts usually lead to the threads being deleted.

So... If you want... Post it. If it turns into a spam fest (yes, no, what are you talking about), it will just disappear

------------------
                    Ming
                    Ming@Apolyton.net
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

Thanks Ming

Actually I thought you might delete because you would be unfamiliar with the term and might have suspected it was connected with another little word association on the MP forum (which it isn't)

It'll probably be on page 2 in an hour anyway....

Comment

Working...
                      X