Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop Spam. Go back to the old branched thread forum.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Spam. Go back to the old branched thread forum.

I was in another gaming forum the other day and it had the old branching thread method. It was awesome.

1. Way better content.
    2. Less spam.
    3. Easier to read new posts (don't have to see whole thread when there is a new post.)
    4. Threadjacking has less impact.
    5. Easier to keep track of old topics and to contribute to them.

Markos/Dan, if you realy want to serve us gamers, let's go back to this concept at least on some of the boards. You could have a UBB board for the spam-desiring.

I like this better, on the other method, the thing took too long to load and I'd have to go all the way down the list for my conversations. Also, Mark and Dan paid for this UBB right?

BTW-You are talking about the methods like in the Addicted forums right? Otherwise, I'm completely off-track.
    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

with the current method, there have been lots of lots of great on-topic threads which could never exist with a branched method

Comment

Mao,

It's a sunk cost.

MarkG,

Could you eleborate? Do you see any merit in my comments?

Comment

If I understand what you mean by 'branched thread', then I'm totally agianst it. It is always harder to read, and less enjoyable. UBB is much better. Sorry.

btw: Just to be sure that I really have the right thing in mind, would someone please post a link to a fourm which uses branched thread?

------------------
          adaMada
          adamada@springmail.com
          Civ 3 Democracy Game:
          PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
          Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

I guess it would be something like the USEnet newsgroups. Any reponses to a thread are posted under that thread. Any responses to a response are posted under that response. A person could choose to respond to the original thread or any of the responses. That would be more coherent when you are trying to track down a line of thought, but takes longer to load.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

You can't stop spam with a change in message presentation format. Spam will always exist. There is plenty of spam in the newsgroups.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

GP, et al.:

I've experienced both styles of message boards — and much prefer the UBB approach. It's quicker and, for me, much more enjoyable.

CYBERAmazon
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Sorry, GP; as far as I am concerned, any UBB pitfall is outwayed by the benefits of what it brings to the operation of these forums.

----------------
                  Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

Markos just loves his huge post count; there's no way we could change the forum and possibly have him risk that status.

Comment

Cmon Dan. You could go back to being called the emperor...

Comment

Working...
                      X