No announcement yet.

Merit Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah Ming little boy, let uncle LightEning explain.

You get a merit award when you do something nice and great(Such as post stuff to CivIII section, and get that stuff added in the game).

Apolytoner of the season awards, then, are awards for quality posts. Yes, they are contribution to the Apolytoner society, but it's a different thing. Quality isn't merit. Doing is merit.

Did little Ming understand ?
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

LightEning, my son, you should do your homework. I'm easily old enough to be your father (and I would bet that I'm older than him) so cut the little "stuff"

Yes, I understand the point you are making. But you are incorrect in your assumption. The Apolytoner of the Season awards went far beyond just quality posts. (with the exception of the OTF winner, which had all to do with posts, but nothing to do with quality) Nominations were made based on people's contributions to the civ community and to Apolyton.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well, there's not much point to this since Dan nixed it but the way I view the Apolytoner of the Season is something that fellow posters give as a sign of respect, not for good deeds. For proof Ming I offer the fact that AH almost won.

The medals as I concieved them were something that the top brass gave out for good deeds, such as the ones others mentioned above. I don't think a vote is a good idea. This is a business, let the owners and moderators put their heads together and give a gesture, or medal to thank others who work to make this a great site, besides themselves.

Like I said, it's kinda moot. Dan isn't on board.

Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Hey! I almost forgot...

Thanks alot to the folks who liked this idea enough to support it even though it's history.

Comment

Well, all I said when this thread first started was that DanQ and MarkG must be having a good laugh. However, it is kind of a neat idea. It's just something else that would make Apolyton a fun place to hang out. I'm not sure how much work it would be but I do think it could be done. Check out www.danimation.com (a RCT site), they also use Ultimate Bulletin Board software. They just had their first RCT awards night (a few weeks back). The winners all get special award icons under their user names in threads. They also have some other features that I don't see here at Apolyton. I do think this is the best site on the net but that does not mean it can't be better!!

Comment

I should get an award for being the first person to put a false quote in their sig. Kathy Lee Gifford didn't actually say that. But the Aeulius Aristides quote is real.

------------------
              "I like to eat puppies and babies."
              ~Kathy Lee Gifford

"Everywhere are gymnasia, fountains, gateways, temples, factories, schools... and the world which from the beginning has been laboring in illness has now been put in the way of health. Cities are radiant in their splendor and their grace, and the whole earth is as trim as a garden!"
              Aelius Aristides, 2nd Century A.D. (from the Caesar 2 manual)

Comment

MWHC, thanks...

Comment

Does that go for other civ's than civ III, fx freeciv? So if one of my ideas went into freeciv I would get a merit award!

Since it is me (one of four) who decides what goes into freeciv I think I could manage :P
                  http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

I think we should expand the awards to things like "Poster Who Started the Longest Thread in Apolyton History"
                    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

Thue, there's 5 problems I can see w/ your plan.
                      1.I don't know if it applies to fxfreeciv.
                      2.I don't know what fxfreeciv is.
                      3.I'm not the one who makes the decisions.
                      4.One of the guys that makes the decisions didn't like the Merit Awards
                      5.Something else I can't recall just now.

Mao, that sounds good, the longest thread, yeah...the longest non spam thread on a single subject!

Comment

Working...
                      X