Search for User Profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search for User Profile

When I want to view someone's user profile; I go under a bookmark in my browser, and manually edit the http address so that it has the correct user name in it. This allows me to check profiles without finding one of their posts, and clicking the profile botton. This is a rather long and cumbersome process, so I want to know if a box could be created that would allow you to enter a user name into the box, and it would display the profile for this person. All this box would do is stick whatever text you enter into at the end of : http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbm...tbio&UserName=

For instence:
    If you wanted to find my profile, you would enter "adaMada" into the box, and this would send you to the following address: http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbm...rName=adaMada.

Just an idea. It can't be to hard…

------------------
    adaMada
    adamada@sprimail.com
    <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by adaMada (edited April 11, 2000).]</font>
    Civ 3 Democracy Game:
    PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
    Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

How hard is it to just click profile and manually make changes?

Comment

Narck:
      You missed the point!!

I don't want to make changes. I want to be able to view other people's profiles, without going to the trouble of finding one of their posts, and clicking on the view profile botton. The view profile botton is great; but sometimes I just want to view someone's profile without going to the trouble of finding one of their posts.

------------------
      adaMada
      adamada@springmail.com
      <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by adaMada (edited April 12, 2000).]</font>
      Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

I swear, ada.. so you want to add another couple pages of bloat to apolyton, just so you don't have to edit the address field??

Just make a bookmark that points towards http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbm...tbio&UserName=
        then just add the name of who you want! Jeez, its like I just answered this question a week ago.. Oh wait, I did
        ~I like eggs.~

Comment

If you actually took the time to read my post (novel new idea) then you'll find that I actually do have a bookmark to that address. I'm just looking for an easier way, and it can't be that hard to set this up…

------------------
          adaMada
          adamada@springmail.com
          Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

There is an easy solution to this: ubb comes equipped with an option to show the full member list of the forums, from there you can find names you want and click their profiles.

however, IIRC, Mark and Dan don't want to show this list for some reason. So, if that's the case, they won't like this option either And in that case you're just going to have to spend those 2 seconds extra to type it in yourself!

Comment

They don't like the list because it slows down the surver…

I can't see why they won't like this, however, because people (like me) already use this anyway. They would just be making it easier…

------------------
              adaMada
              adamada@springmail.com
              Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

ok, let's say they wont dislike it, still the fact remains that they probably have better things to do around the site than this kind of stuff.

Comment

face it mada, just give up. yu arnt gon to geet thees, so jast shat oop

Comment

Maybe searching the user profile slows down the server... But has anybody used the functions "Find all posts by this user" and "Today's active topics"? They search through more than ten thousand posts. User is a different thing than post, that's for sure, so maybe searching users takes more server time than searching posts. I don't know.
                    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Why? When you directly edit the address, it only takes a few seconds for the profile to show up. Besides, this would only search 5,500 (roughly) names, each with only one or two words. Compare this to searching every word in the OT!! b (what LightEning said )

Could one of the moderaters/admins. please post a reply?

------------------
                      adaMada
                      adamada@springmail.com
                      <font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by adaMada (edited April 14, 2000).]</font>
                      Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

there is a user search engine which is only availiable for admin use. from that experience, I know very well that it is not something to be given to public use

Comment

MarkG:

Please clarify.
                          Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

I'm talking about response times when a borader search is done. and while you and I might search for "adamada" or "ada" or "mark", there are loots of other who will just put "a" and kill the system in the process

Comment

Oh, ok.

I was thinking of something a bit different from a search engine; whatever was put in the box would be stuck onto the end of the url: http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/ubb/ubbm...tbio&UserName=

Therefor, you would have no choice but to enter the full username. It would be nice if what you entered was not case-sensative, as it is now, but that is not neccessary.
                              Civ 3 Democracy Game:

Comment

Working...
                              X