No announcement yet.

PLUS: Credit Card (no PAYPAL) option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a PayPal account (or anything, actually) with a Debit Card sounds incredibly stupid and dangerous. Sounds to me as if, as long as you keep away from this practice, you should be fine. I've been ebaying for three years now with my Credit Card hooked up to PayPal and not had a single problem in around 2-3 dozen transactions for each of those years. Postage is another matter.....
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

A question, Mark. What was the intention for the "No" vote - not to be considered (since No applies to all those who have Plus as well as those who have not yet got Plus but can do so and those who do not want Plus)? To gauge how many of us frequent this forum? It just seems a little strange. Surely if there's some critical absolute number who want the non-PayPal option it will be looked into, regardless of how many No votes there are?
      Consul.

Comment

I know that I don't trust paypal enough to open an account. This year someone else paid for me, but in future years if I could pay through more conventional methods there would be a better chance of me retaining my subscription.

Comment

What was the intention for the "No" vote
          the "no" answers are not considered.
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
            I know that I don't trust paypal enough to open an account. This year someone else paid for me, but in future years if I could pay through more conventional methods there would be a better chance of me retaining my subscription.
            But what do you mean by 'conventional methods', DrS? Credit cards or PayPal would be the only way to go, as far as I could see, until such a time as Poly had operatives in most regions able to accept the money from chequees or direct credit. And that would be a LONG way off, if it ever happened.
            Consul.

Comment

It would be nice to have a direct payment method as opposed to going through a third party. Installing this mechanism would also open the door for being able to purchase things directly from the site (anyone interested in a hardly used Greek artillery piece? )
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

But what do you mean by 'conventional methods', DrS?
                Well a non-paypal credit card option is one.

Comment

I've just had an epiphany!

I was just looking through the threads and noticed that apolyton appears to be selling its stuff now via the amazon umbrella. Amazon accepts credit cards. Why not just sell yearly subscriptions via the same mechanism?
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

eeeer no, we dont sell our products via amazon

that wasnt an epiphany you had...

Comment

I am sure Amazon would be happy to accept our money.

Comment

idea for the "paypal haters"!

how about an overpriced apolyton store product?
                        - select a product you like
                        - contact us
                        - we'll make a special version of the product, priced propely to include the cost of the PLUS subscription(and minus our store profit) of your desire and send you the link
                        - once the order is complete, mail us again to activate your PLUS subscription!

you could do it with something as cheap as a bumper sticker

or the new $9.99 t-shirts

Comment

Then whats the amazon/apolyton store thread about?

It`s simple: we give you or friend of yours a free month of ApolytonPLUS for every purchase you make from:
                          - The Apolyton Store
                          - The Amazon stores in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France and Germany

Details here
                          Btw, we've got some new $9.99 t-shirts!
                          Oh I think I understand, if I go to amazon via poly you get some financial benefit.

I buy bagfulls of stuff from amazon (I have an amazon CC as well) but have never gone via poly.

I dont understand this, the poly store is via cafeexpress which accepts CC. Why isnt there simply a new button on the poly store to buy a yearly subscription ? It's a product of sorts.
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I dont understand this, the poly store is via cafeexpress which accepts CC. Why isnt there simply a new button on the poly store to buy a yearly subscription ? It's a product of sorts.
                            cause cafepress is into selling products, not doing CC parsing. but we're overcoming it, see my post above

Comment

Shameless Mark... I suppose you could promote it as a 'free' Poly-themed gift for subscribers. As long as people don't mind paying a little extra (that also goes towards supporting Poly IIRC) that's a neat little idea.

Who says army life kills creative thinking?

And DrS - ah, OK. If a non-PayPal CC option is all you want then great. Sounds easy enough.
                              Consul.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                                And DrS - ah, OK. If a non-PayPal CC option is all you want then great. Sounds easy enough.
                                Well to clarify, I already have the subscription, so it's not immediately relevant. However since Mark asked about it I replied.

Comment

Working...
                                X