The quote bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The quote bug

Just curious... why is it that you can't quote a poster who quotes another poster

e.g.

Poster1:
    Goodday all

Poster2: (Quotes poster1)
    [ q ] Goodday all [ / q ]
    It's not day, it's night

Poster3: (Quotes poster2)
    [ q ] It's not day, it's night [ / q ]
    Sure it's day...

Why doesn't poster3's post look like this instead:
    [ q ] [ q ] Goodday all [ / q ]
    It's not day, it's night [ / q ]
    Sure it's day...

This space is empty... or is it?

The full [quote] tags from another person's post get removed when you quote them. It is a feature from the boards. If people use [q], however, the board won't remove them. Both people need to use [q] tags rather than the full tags for it to work though.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

... but the question is why?

Comment

You must be really bored.
        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

... but the question is why?

I certainly am.

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

In fact, because the [ quote ] tags are built-in in vB, while the [ q] tags are manually added.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by obstructor
              I was just always confused why it didn't work automaticly...

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                The full [quote] tags from another person's post get removed when you quote them. It is a feature from the boards. If people use [q], however, the board won't remove them. Both people need to use [q] tags rather than the full tags for it to work though.
                I often use both variants within a post, if I'm breaking a single quote into several mini quotes.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

So there's a difference in how they appear???
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

So there's a difference in how they appear???

No.

Comment

I think it's a feature to prevent big huge useless quotes. And of course, big huge useless waste of space.

If you want to quote both quotes, literary quote both.
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Haven't seen this one for a while.

Comment

Where are Ixnay's "nested quotes from hell"?
                          That is all that seems to be missing from this thread now.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Here seems to be a cap anyway. I tried to display a nice quote pyramid, but all it let me do was 3.

Comment

I think Ix got to 7 last time by nesting alternate quote tags. Yymv.

Comment

Working...
                              X