• Show
Clear All

yeap
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Will London stop at nothing, how long before the EU is ruled by London dammit !!!
      Don't even think of taking away my beloved € and changing it in that wrethched £
      Countless of generations have used that € for christ's sake....
      Whilst I said it in jest, I also meant that the UK hasn't changed its daylight saving days for over 20 years. Most (if not all) other EU countries adopted the same DST implementation dates as the UK back in the late 90s.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I did not actually know that. Might come in handy for some trivia show some day.

Comment

this is confusing.

You know what's even more confusing is the earth's rotation is slowing down like 1 second every few years or so. I believe it is due to that annoying moon. So not only do you have leap years, you have leap seconds.

Comment

More trivia:

Leap years:

When year/4 = a whole number
            but NOT when it's century turnover unless you can divide it by 400.

Maybe a example will make it easier to understand my gibberish
            Code:
            Leap year       Not a leap year
            2000                      1900
            1996                      2001
            1904                      500
            1600                      1700
            8                              7
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
              You know what's even more confusing is the earth's rotation is slowing down like 1 second every few years or so. I believe it is due to that annoying moon. So not only do you have leap years, you have leap seconds.
              Actually, its not slowing down that fast, a day increases in length by 1.5-2 milliseconds per century. Since 'the second' was defined in the 19th Century the Earth's rotation has slowed such that a day is ~2 milliseconds longer. Over the course of a year that accumulates to about 0.7 seconds.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I wonder if the year 8 was a leap year; was there even an August then?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                  BST (British Summer Time) which itself is GMT+1
                  Correct. The Time Zones on Apolyton should read: BST +X instead of GMT +X.

Example: I'm in Central Europe. I can select the "GMT +1" time zone for my country, but I'm actually on GMT +2 now since we have daylight savings. Therefore, the country/city display does not match with the time display.
                  Greatest moments in cat:

Comment

Working...
                  X