This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop-up feast

I've been away for quite some time because I had enough of Civ3. When I got C3C I got really enthousiastic again and decided to browse Apolyton again to get up to speed.

I enjoyed this site so much in the past and I spent so many hours here but unfortunatly now each time I click on a link and open a new window some stupid add pops up.

I understand and appreciate that Apolyton wants to generate some income to finance this site and maybe make a small profit but does it need to be this extreme?
    Somebody told me I should get a signature.

Have you got cookies enabled? They keep popup numbers down somewhat.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

At the moment there are lots of popups. I posted a question about it in the popup thread, and hopefully Mark will answer when he is around next.

Comment

Glad its not just me that is getting this. I was beginning to think there was something unusual about my setup.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

I think a few have mentioned it in passing.........but we need more to say it in the popup thread.

Comment

Just get a blocker.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Mark explains about blockers in the popup thread.

Comment

I've read the thread about pop-ups and I must say that it leaves a nasty taste in my mouth. A minimum of one pop-up per link clicked and sometimes as many as three is hardly acceptable for a fansite!

As I see it the people of Apolyton did, in the past, a very good job making this the #1 tbs site. But they should also realize that the main and most important attraction of this site is its forum and the contributions of its visitors.

By forcing users to install software to block pop-ups or forcing them to endure the nuisance caused by these pop-ups Apolyton risks loosing the better part of their audience to more userfriendly sites with high quality forums such as Civfanatics.

This in turn would force Apolyton to increase the number of pop-ups to 3-5 etc. etc.

Be careful, you might be slowly killing your site!
                Somebody told me I should get a signature.

Comment

Yep I'd happily fill in a survey every week or click through one link per visit. A popup in your face every time you click is too intrusive.
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

I hear you Magnus..........I'd prefer a subscription model, but the owners don't seem to want to explore that option, even if the content was still made available to all.

The popups are bearable at times........but they can get out of hand like in the Gator period, and at present for some reason they are much too frequent.

Comment

The number of times we have asked for the option of a subscription model...
                      Oh well, if they want to they will.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Skanky, bring back the pretty lady.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Please continue this in the topped thread...

Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                          X